Q. Why is my mother having periods after menopause?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

My mother had a fibroid in the uterus and now she had her periods after menopause.

Do you have a question on Periods or Fibroid Uterus?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Uzma Arqam

DIPLOMA IN WOMEN 'S HEALTH FROM ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIENS IRELAND., DIPLOMA IN GYNNAE AND OBSTETRICS FROM
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

Near or after menopause heavy bleeding needs investigations. The average age of menopause is 51 years in your country. It would be better if you send me her complete gynecological, obstetrics, medical, and drug history. It should be investigated either she had complete menopause or not. Should have an iron supplement to reduce chances of anemia. A healthy nutritious diet with iron-containing foods like apples, carrots, etc. Should have regular exercise.

Have complete blood count, thyroid function test, transvaginal scan, endometrial biopsy, local outpatients hysteroscopic examination to exclude local cause of bleeding like an endometrial or cervical polyp, cervical erosion, etc. Have treatment of any disease if you have any. Have exercise and yoga. Follow all investigations results and discuss with gynecologist here or local. In case of atypical endometrial hyperplasia, she might have the advice of total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. So better to have a full check-up, investigations and then treatment.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have bleeding and you have to change two to three pads per day, then you do not have to do anything for bleeding on urgent basis. At 48 years of age, if you are bleeding heavily, then better get an appointment and check your cervix and the other things. If require...  Read Full »

My pregnant test is negative but I miss my period. Am I pregnant?
Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, and I am planning to conceive. I am under Macfolate and Metformin tablets for the past seven months. I have regular periods for the past six months. This month, on the 11th day, I missed my period. After two days, when I checked for pregnancy, I got a negative result. Again ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may repeat the test in a week to rule out pregnancy, or you can do a serum beta hCG test. If the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU/ml, then you are not pregnant. The reasons are anovulatory cycles seen in PCOD, or you should get a semen analysis done once for your part...  Read Full »

Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49 year old female, and I have a uterine fibroid. I have heavy bleeding from two or three months. What to do? What medicines can I take? Is it curable without surgery? Please advise. I am taking Kanchanar Guggulu from ten days.  Read Full »
Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The heavy bleeding may be due to the fibroid and menopausal symptoms. Hence, we need to treat fibroid and hormonal imbalance. For your condition, I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now