Q. Why is my mother having periods after menopause?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My mother had a fibroid in the uterus and now she had her periods after menopause.

#

Near or after menopause heavy bleeding needs investigations. The average age of menopause is 51 years in your country. It would be better if you send me her complete gynecological, obstetrics, medical, and drug history. It should be investigated either she had complete menopause or not. Should have an iron supplement to reduce chances of anemia. A healthy nutritious diet with iron-containing foods like apples, carrots, etc. Should have regular exercise.

Have complete blood count, thyroid function test, transvaginal scan, endometrial biopsy, local outpatients hysteroscopic examination to exclude local cause of bleeding like an endometrial or cervical polyp, cervical erosion, etc. Have treatment of any disease if you have any. Have exercise and yoga. Follow all investigations results and discuss with gynecologist here or local. In case of atypical endometrial hyperplasia, she might have the advice of total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. So better to have a full check-up, investigations and then treatment.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|