Q. I am pre-diabetic. Can I take malt-based drinks once a day?

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic six years ago. I have avoided sugar completely since. I would like to know whether I can take malt-based beverages once a day.

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

#

• Prediabetes means you have impaired blood sugar levels. It can lead to full-blown diabetes over a few years. It is basically a component of metabolic syndrome in which insulin resistance is the central mechanism.
  • So, it is good to avoid sugar. But, apart from that, an excess weight could be due to increased intake of fats, carbohydrates, and sedentary lifestyle. So, the best management of prediabetes would be to increase physical activity, doing cardio, and aerobics.
  • Reducing the intake of fat and carbohydrates, not just sugar is essential.
  • Reduce your weight.
  • You can take malt-based drinks.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Are such beverages safe in diabetes?

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

#

• Beverages containing high amounts of sugar are to be definitely avoided.
  • Type-2 diabetes and prediabetes are a state of insulin resistance, where the body is producing enough insulin and in the early stages, more insulin. But, the problem is with its action, because of the resistance to its action. So, basically your diet has a role and of course, beverages have a high content of sugar like cold drinks, high-fructose syrup containing foods. They surely needed to be avoided.
  • But still, I want to say that the best management for prediabetes is increasing physical activity and reducing overall carbs and fat intake.

Thanks.

| 

Is low dose of human growth hormone a cause for type 2 diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full »

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full »