Q. What is the treatment for preauricular sinus infection?

Published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

My son has a preauricular sinus infection for almost 24 days now. He is taking antibiotics regularly, but the infection is still there. Pus is getting produced on a daily basis. Twice the doctor brought out pus through a syringe. He also made a cut to drain the pus, and then he made that cut a bit big, but it was of no use. The other ENT specialist says he will make a big cut and wash it and then put a dressing inside, and he will repeat this for few days. Is this method safe? Please advice.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• A preauricular sinus is a tract that opens outside through a punctum and it is lined by epithelium. Imagine a very small tube lined by epithelium which produces skin over it and debris. With time the debris gets accumulated provides a nidus for bacterial growth and becomes infected.
  • The solution is not a small or big cut, or in doctor's term, aspiration or syringing. You need a complete excision of the tract. It is a surgical procedure done under general anesthesia. Please do not go for these cuts as they do not solve the problem. When you have a sinus tract, it is easy to excise. When you make multiple cuts and distort it, the surgery becomes painstakingly difficult.
  • I suggest you get the surgery done at a good place. But the main part I would like to emphasize is the current treatment is absurd. Whether the wound caused is an infected sinus or just an infected wound near to the sinus will depend on our examination.
  • For the time being, I would advise you to continue antibiotics to remove the infection as any surgery will be done only in the absence of infection.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full

Should I be concerned about my ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears with your history that you are suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection that has complicated into an ear infection. Usually, once the antibiotic course starts, the problem should resolve within three to four days and completely by five to sev...  Read Full

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full