Q. My dad has adenocarcinoma of prostate with no bone metastasis. How to treat him?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

I want to know about my dad's PSA prostate biopsy report. The report is in french language and I will translate it in English. Doctor advised him to take hormone therapy and radiation therapy. Will that work?

Biopsy report shows:

Adenocarcinoma of prostate Gleason score 6 (3+3) associated with ultra ductal carcinoma with extra prostate. Presence of numerous enlarged nerves.

I want to know its treatment and side effects. My dad is 78 years old and he has high blood pressure. He did bone metastasis and it came back negative. What is the best treatment for my dad?

#

It looks your father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The good thing is that his bone scan is free of metastasis (spread). I will suggest them to do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pelvis and x-ray chest plus abdominal ultrasound for staging. These investigations will show the extension of the prostatic tumor if the tumor is confined to the prostate only. He needs a surgical assessment for the possible radical removal of the prostate along with the tumor. If they found him unfit for surgery or inoperable tumor, then the next step is radiotherapy and hormonal therapy.

In general, prostatic cancer is usually a slow-growing tumor. It takes years to spread to other parts. From stage 1 to stage 3 prostate cancer five years of survival is almost 100 %.

|