Protein In Urine

Can antibiotics be started for a patient with fever, cold, cough, and excess protein in urine?

Query: Hello doctor,The patient has been suffering from intermittent fevers, colds, and coughs for the last two days.He has a history of excess protein discharge in urine (value: 800 mg/L). Currently, he is taking blood-thinning medicine for a heart condition and medication for diabetes and blood pressure....  Read Full »

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since protein urea is present, urinary tract infection must be ruled out. I suggest urine culture and sensitivity. Also, I suggest the following medications: 1. Tablet Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 1-0-1. 2. Tablet Cetirizine 5 mg 0-0-1. 3. Tab...  Read Full »

Kindly review my laboratory report and give your opinion on my kidney function.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with kidney failure, and I have attached my laboratory reports. Kindly give your opinion on my kidney function. Thanks.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have studied your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). You have mild proteinuria. Kindly answer me the following to help you better; 1) You have not mentioned for what purpose you have got these tests done? 2) What probl...  Read Full »

If GFR is 89 and the dipstick test shows protein in the urine, is there a kidney problem?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week's blood test showed a GFR of 89 and one that was taken two years ago showed 90. Dipstick showed protein in the urine, lastweek. Does this mean my kidneys are not working as well as they should? If so, is there anything I should or should not do? Kindly give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normal range of GFR (Glomerular filtration rate) is 90-120 mL/min/1.73 m2. Your value is 89, which is just below the lower limit, and it has to be rechecked in few weeks. Also, there is normal excretion of less than 150 mg/d of total protein and less than 30 mg/d o...  Read Full »

What can cause weakness and high protein content in urine in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I took my blood test. I took a 24-hour urine test. I had a protein of 486 mg/g in my urine. I am diabetic and it is under control. I have a fasting blood sugar of 106 mg/dL and post-prandial blood sugar of 120 mg/dL. I am taking Diapride M 0.5 mg for diabetes and Cetanil T 40 f...  Read Full »

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, you have diabetes, hypertension, and other complications such as retinopathy and nephropathy. Your blood sugar level is good and other investigations look fair. Your doctor has prescribed you the right medicine. Cetanil-T (Cilnidipine with Telmi...  Read Full »

Should an FSGS patient consume more protein to increase blood albumin levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male with a weight of 90 kilograms. I am diagnosed with FSGS. Currently, I am taking Prednisolone 40 mg daily. Still, I have proteinuria. As I am losing more protein in my urine, do I need to eat more protein to increase my blood albumin levels? I can understand that edema occur...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Taking increased protein increases the risk of developing edema. Your kidney is unable to take more protein and if you add more of it, it will end up losing more proteins. So it is better to take a moderate type of diet. You should take a balanced diet. You should n...  Read Full »

Could UTI cause cloudy urine and irritation during urination?

Query: Hello. I thought I had a UTI. I have a little bit of irritation when I use the bathroom and my pee tends to be really cloudy. Sometimes I itch but that’s rarely. I also seem to have the urge to keep peeing but I can’t. This has gone on for about 1 week and a half. I’m 15 and my mom...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasir

Answer: Good day to you Ma'am what you are describing seems likely to be a Urinary tract infection. It's fairly common among women and nothing to be worried about. Have you have fever in the past few days? Urine getting cloudy suggests proteins being present in the urine. Have you noticed any swelling aroun...  Read Full »

What does facial swelling and proteinuria in a small kid indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby has swelling in the face lasting for a week. We consulted our family physician and urinalysis showed proteinuria. She is born full-term from her first normal pregnancy. Birth weight is 3040 g, and Apgar score is 9/10. She is breastfed and we observed bloody mucus in feces sinc...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description and the reports, the child seems to be fitting into the nephrotic syndrome. Steroids will have to be started for the same, along with antibiotic cover for now. However, it is best to get the child evaluated physically by a nephrologist before...  Read Full »

Is it mandatory to get kidney biopsy in case of protein leakage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. When I was 18 I went to the doctor and they said I was leaking high amounts of protein. Also, I had some bacteria showing up in my urine so she gave me medicine for that which I had to stop taking before the dosage was out because I reacted badly to it. Then s...  Read Full »

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Going by the history given by you, it seems that you had proteinuria (that is protein leaking in the urine due to some defect in kidneys). There are multiple conditions which can lead to proteinuria. The treatment varies depending upon the cause which can be establis...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of pain in pubic area with protein in urine?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the pubic area. Urine test revealed protein in the urine. But there is no pain while urinating but I get pain only when I touch the area. I am just getting sick and wondering what it might be?  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the presence of proteins in urine is not a good sign. Let me explain to you in simple words that why it is not a good sign. The whole of the blood in our body flows through both the kidneys in our body and kidney functions as a filter, the harmful substances, ...  Read Full »

What is your opinion on the presence of albumin and RBCs in urine test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem in my urine reports. The report shows: Albumin: +++. Sugar: nill. Pus cells: plenty. Epithelial cells: plenty. RBC's: 4-6. Urine culture: No bacterial growth after 48hrs at 37c. Please give suggestions.  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You have proteinuria and hematuria. It can be due to urinary tract infection, but that can be ruled out here since you have not passed any pus cells or epithelial cells. I will recommend you to immediately get a CT KUB (computerized to...  Read Full »