Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have high protein leakage with no noticable symptoms. Is kidney biopsy necessary?

Answered by
Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 24-year-old female. When I was 18 I went to the doctor and they said I was leaking high amounts of protein. Also, I had some bacteria showing up in my urine so she gave me medicine for that which I had to stop taking before the dosage was out because I reacted badly to it. Then she sent me to a kidney doctor who ran a bunch of tests and found nothing wrong. He said I might have autoimmune deficiency and they might have to do a biopsy it scared me and I never went back. Six years later and I feel perfectly fine no frequent urinating or none of the symptoms I looked up. I was always been in shape even though I do not eat healthily. I was wondering after all these years should I be concerned about my kidneys? I do not want to have kidney failure also my mom has the condition sarcoidosis which I know causes protein and a bunch of other stuff to happen.



Welcome to

Going by the history given by you, it seems that you had proteinuria (that is protein leaking in the urine due to some defect in kidneys). There are multiple conditions which can lead to proteinuria. The treatment varies depending upon the cause which can be established by kidney biopsy. There are a few causes which can resolve spontaneously which most probably happened in your case. Still, I would advise doing a kidney function test (urea, creatinine), urine routine, urine protein creatinine ratio (spot). If these investigations show any abnormality we should proceed with a kidney biopsy to guide further management. Also, please check your blood pressure as well.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

What are some things that causes protein to leak in a person who does not smoke nor obese?



Welcome back to

In your age, few common reasons for protein leak in urine include minimal change disease, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, membranous glomerulonephritis. Anyway, most probably the way it responded for you with a short course of drugs it must be minimal change disease which is normally a benign and well treatable condition. But one can say with certainty only after kidney biopsy if the protein leak is persisting now also. If it is not persisting then nothing to be done.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please explain my further treatment based on the report.
My routine urine examination showed 30 mg/L protein. Should I be worried?
What is the cause for increased albumin in blood?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Treatment for losing protein in the urine

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is losing protein in the urine. The result is ++. She usually remains tired and also has pain in some part of the body like back pain or head pain. She also has a lot of black pigmentation marks on her body. Is pigmentation marks cause any serious problem? Can you please tell me ...  Read Full »

If I had stage 3 CKD, would the urine levels be indicative of disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old very fit male. I lift weights three times a week and use the stair master for 30 minutes five times a week vigorously. I have had this same routine for the past 20 years. I am 5'7" and weigh 160 pounds. My serum creatinine was 1.33 16 years back, and for the past 16...  Read Full »

What does borderline positive c-ANCA levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.