Q. I have high protein leakage with no noticable symptoms. Is kidney biopsy necessary?

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha

I am a 24-year-old female. When I was 18 I went to the doctor and they said I was leaking high amounts of protein. Also, I had some bacteria showing up in my urine so she gave me medicine for that which I had to stop taking before the dosage was out because I reacted badly to it. Then she sent me to a kidney doctor who ran a bunch of tests and found nothing wrong. He said I might have autoimmune deficiency and they might have to do a biopsy it scared me and I never went back. Six years later and I feel perfectly fine no frequent urinating or none of the symptoms I looked up. I was always been in shape even though I do not eat healthily. I was wondering after all these years should I be concerned about my kidneys? I do not want to have kidney failure also my mom has the condition sarcoidosis which I know causes protein and a bunch of other stuff to happen.

#

Going by the history given by you, it seems that you had proteinuria (that is protein leaking in the urine due to some defect in kidneys). There are multiple conditions which can lead to proteinuria. The treatment varies depending upon the cause which can be established by kidney biopsy. There are a few causes which can resolve spontaneously which most probably happened in your case. Still, I would advise doing a kidney function test (urea, creatinine), urine routine, urine protein creatinine ratio (spot). If these investigations show any abnormality we should proceed with a kidney biopsy to guide further management. Also, please check your blood pressure as well.

| 

What are some things that causes protein to leak in a person who does not smoke nor obese?

#

In your age, few common reasons for protein leak in urine include minimal change disease, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, membranous glomerulonephritis. Anyway, most probably the way it responded for you with a short course of drugs it must be minimal change disease which is normally a benign and well treatable condition. But one can say with certainty only after kidney biopsy if the protein leak is persisting now also. If it is not persisting then nothing to be done.

|