Q. I have red spots on my skin, which are neither itching nor dry. What could be the probable cause for it?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar. N

As seen in the attached picture, I have red spots on my skin for two months. It is neither itching nor dry, and now I have small bumps on my arms and the other places of my body. One year back, I had itching in my legs, which I thought to be due to my detergent. The itching stopped on its own, and then I developed red patches on my skin. The doctor prescribed Fucidin and Daivobet, as she thought it is psoriasis. But, it did not work on these red spots. Kindly help.

#

I have read about your query and have seen the photographs (attachment removed to protect the person's identity).

What is present is less likely to be psoriasis because psoriasis usually has scars and itching. It is a prurigo that generally presents with reddish spots over the skin associated with or without itching.

None required.

1) Prurigo.
2) ID (Interface dermatitis) reaction, which is due to primary infection in any other place of the body like fungal, bacterial etc. And the primary infection has to be treated for the ID reaction to subside.

Prurigo.

You can continue with Daivobet ointment (Betamethasone and Calcipotriol) for two more weeks and if it has not come down, look for any other infection present over your body, any minor may it be, and take treatment for it.

Look for any other infection and review.

|