Q. I have flaking in scalp and patches on the body. Please help.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Oct 31, 2018

I have dandruff issue from childhood. Now I have got flakings in the scalp and I got round patches on back and back side of the ear and on the hand, elbow area. They are itchy and size is increasing after month. Please suggest the best treatment.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

With your history it seems like psoriasis, though I cannot confirm without seeing the pictures. Please attach your clinical pictures so that I can look at the extent of involvement and suggest you appropriate treatment.

I have attached the required files.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Features are consistent with psoriasis. It is an inflammatory condition that can be controlled but there is no complete cure for this. Stress, winter, alcohol tends to make psoriasis worse. Use Clonate (Clobetasol) 0.05 % lotion, apply to the flaky areas of the scalp at night for three weeks. Use Salisia KT (Salicylic acid and Ketoconazole) shampoo to wash the scalp on alternate days. This shampoo will help to reduce the scales but can make your hair dry, hence use good hair conditioner after shampooing. You can use your normal shampoo on the rest of the days.

For the patches on the body, use Sorbate C ointment (Calcitriol and Clobetasol), apply a thin layer ONLY to the patches at night for three weeks on and one week off, make sure that it does not touch the normal skin, Clobetasol is a steroid, it should not be used for longer duration without break. Hence use it for three weeks then give one week break, you can use it again if the patch is still present. Long-term (more than three months) use of steroid without any break in between can cause thinning of skin and whitening. Use any moisturizer in the morning. Use moisturizer soap for the body.

General Management of Difficult Psoriasis

Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the general management of difficult psoriasis and the prevention of its exacerbation. Read Article

Psoriasis is a chronic genetically influenced immunologically based inflammatory disease of skin and joints. A majority of patients can be managed with topical coal tar, Dithranol and corticosteroids. However, psoriasis has a tendency to recur and may become worse. Moderate to severe psoriasis defin...  Read Article

Kindly comment on my psoriasis prescription.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from psoriasis in my palm. When I was 12 years old, I had this disease for the first time. After taking some medicines it disappeared. But, it used to come on and off. In the past one year, I have faced this problem quite often. In between, I had homeopathy. As it ca...  Read Full »