Q. Kindly comment on my psoriasis prescription.

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

I have been suffering from psoriasis in my palm. When I was 12 years old, I had this disease for the first time. After taking some medicines it disappeared. But, it used to come on and off. In the past one year, I have faced this problem quite often. In between, I had homeopathy. As it cannot be cured, I shifted to allopathy again. A local doctor prescribed me some medicines for psoriasis and I want a second opinion about the prescription.

#

Yes, your treatment is right. But, do not take Folitrax for long duration (Methotrexate) as it can adversely affect your liver and immunity.

• Also, if it is limited to palm and soles, then there is no need to take it. Because, Folitrax is meant for use in severe psoriasis, which is not responding to other medications.
  • This is an incurable condition, so we can only control the outbreak and prevent it. You need to take medication as less as necessary.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

If I do not take Folitrax, then will other prescribed medicine show their effect or not? Should I replace Folitrax?

#

• Please send the good quality photographs of lesion and let me look at it.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached the affected area pictures. Please have a look.

#

You are suffering from palmoplantar psoriasis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

First of all you should keep in mind that you need to remain in contact with a dermatologist for your whole life as no treatment is permanent and strictly never ever do self-treatment.

• The course of disease is very unpredictable and can be cured in a few of cases, but frankly no one can say that in whom it will get cured. So, skip Folitrax for a while and also Folvite (Folic acid). Folvite is given to combat the side effects of Folitrax.
  • The last tablet Oriel (Levocetirizine) is for itching, so if it is not there, then you can also skip that.
  • Propysalic-NF (combination of Clobetasol propionate and Salicylic acid) contains a superpotent steroid. It should to be replaced by another cream as soon as the disease is controlled.

|