Q. I was Mantoux positive two months ago and have a flare-up of psoriasis. Can I get the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I had TB in the abdomen thirteen years ago, had medicine for two years. I am having psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis for the past eight years. I have diabetes for the last two years. Also, a couple of years ago had LTB and taken medicine for one year (Benadon and Isoniazid). Again two months ago, gold TB and other tests were taken. I have attached the report for your review. Mantoux was positive. So again had Benadon and Isoniazid for one month and stopped now. I have also taken Scapho 150 (Secukinumab) for 18 months and stopped for the last year. Hair loss is so much in recent days. Also, psoriasis flares up in the hands and legs. When I had Scapho 150, flare-up was reduced. Back pain (L.Spondylitis) is bearable, and if I work continuously in the system, I get my hand knee pain, and by taking Microcid, it reduces. There is no history of corona in the past. My SpO2 levels are 99, my pulse is 98, my random sugar level is 278, and my BP is 124/83.

I take the following medications:

1) Microcid 25 mg (SOS).

2) Razo D 20 mg, one in the morning.

3) Shelcal, one in the night.

4) Folitrax 15 mg, once a week.

5) Folivite 5 mg, one in the morning.

6) Glycomet 1 g, one in the morning.

7) Halovate topical lotion for psoriasis in the night.

Please advise medicine for hair loss. Any other cream or topical lotion or tablet you suggest for psoriasis. Can I Continue Scapho 150 (Secukinumab)? If yes, please provide me a prescription for me to arrange the medicine. Can I take the COVID vaccine? If yes, what clinical tests (like antibodies) that you recommend? Which vaccine do you recommend for me? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Increase protein intake in your diet like dates, green leafy vegetables, egg yolk, chicken, nuts, etc. Take tablet H-Vit Forte (Biotin), a multivitamin hair pill, after breakfast for 30 days. Avoid stress, anxiety, painkillers as it acts as aggravation factors in psoriasis. Use Soracare soap (Salicylic Acid) for a bath for two months. Topisal 3 percent (Clobetasol and Salicylic Acid) ointment if lesions on extensor surfaces of the body and Topisal 6 percent (Clobetasol and Salicylic Acid) lotion on the scalp in the evening for ten minutes for ten days. Physiogel Hypoallergenic (Capric triglyceride and Glycerin) lotion or Liquid Paraffin lotion once a day (at daytime) for 15 days. No need to take the COVID vaccine if a recent illness is present. I hope this was helpful.

Do you recommend Scapho 150 injection? Also, this increased flare-up is there for the past one year. So you do not recommend the COVID vaccine for me now or for a lifetime? I have attached my leg portion affected by psoriasis. Kindly help me.

#

I have seen the picture attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), no need for a vaccine as the lesions are extensive. Refer to a nearby dermatologist as side effects of biological are many, So I do not advise IV biological injection. Regular treatment mentioned above will help in reducing the flare-ups. Emollient like liquid Paraffin or Hypoallergenic Physiogel lotion or liquid Moyzen once in a day will help in healing the lesions.

Topisal 3 percent ointment, which is a combination of steroid and salicylic acid, will help in reducing the hyperkeratotic cells of the skin. I suggest you take tablet Shelcal (Vitamin-D3) 500 mg twice daily after food for one month. Is there scalp psoriasis? I hope this was helpful.

Yes, it is there in the scalp too. Kindly give your opinion.

#

For scalp psoriasis, I suggest you to apply 6 percent Topisal lotion in the evening (contact period ten minutes), then wash off. Use it for ten days. I hope this was helpful.

I am not going to take the vaccine. Is it fine if my other family members take the vaccine and stay with me? Will it create any problem for me? Should I have to be in quarantine? Kindly give your opinion.

#

The other family members can take the vaccine. Take safety precautions. Wear mask, stay home, stay healthy, and stay quarantined.

|