I have a skin infection at the joint of my left thumb that is round in shape with hard and dry skin. What could it be?

Q. What could be the diagnosis for a dry, hard, and scaly skin infection?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

I have an infection at the joint of my left thumb. It is round in shape with hard, dry skin over it. I cannot feel anything above it. On coming in contact with water, it absorbs the water, and the surface becomes white and soft to scrape. When I scrape the scales off with a razor blade, it grows back within days and gradually expand. There is no room for pictures, or I would have shown you the nature of the scales. Sometimes, while scraping, I have wounded myself. Currently, I am taking Griseofulvin.

Please help by telling me what it is and what medication I should take to get rid of it.

#

After going through your description, I can think of three possibilities:

1. Warts - A contagious viral infection.

2. Callosity - Thickening of the skin due to constant pressure.

3. Psoriasis - A localized skin disease with bleeding on scrapings (Auspitz sign).

I may only be able to diagnose what it is until I see it. You can attach the picture along with your query. I cannot prescribe you any medication without confirming the diagnosis; if it is a wart, we need to remove it because it is contagious.

|