Pulmonary Edema

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full »

Dr. Ritesh Kumar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history, at times, though not very common, steam/air inhalation can cause inflammation of the airway leading to respiratory symptoms and even pulmonary edema. So, keep an eye on the following symptoms : If you develop hoarseness of voice, wheezing, strido...  Read Full »

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?

Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What happens in a heart attack is that the patient's heart is not functioning properly. It does not maintain the speed and pressure required. And therefore, the blood and the fluid collects in the body including the lungs. When the fluid collects in the lungs, a person ...  Read Full »

I have unrelenting back pain between my shoulder blades. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. For the past few weeks, I have had an unrelenting back pain between my shoulder blades. I also have a sharp, tearing chest pain above my left breast area or along my sternum on my right side. The sharp pain will last a few minutes, then stop. At times, it rad...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reviewing your health query, I want to add that there may be anything from a list of possibilities. Keeping in mind the past history of PE (pulmonary edema), it can be a relapse of the same. Pain and other symptoms are also mimicking if originating from th...  Read Full »

Why is there breathlessness in a CKD stage 5 patient?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is a patient of CKD stage 5. He is undergoing dialysis weekly twice. Right now he is having creatinine 9.1, potassium 5.2, and hemoglobin 8.9. Yesterday, he was given two units of blood during dialysis. Despite all that he is having severe breathlessness for these two days. Pl...  Read Full »

Dr. Gabriel Matias

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father's potassium and creatinine levels are high. The breathlessness may be because of pulmonary edema. There is no specific medicine for these cases, as the best treatment is dialysis. Consider talking to your nephrologist to do the dialysis more frequently, s...  Read Full »

Can you comment on my lung function tests?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had issues with a somewhat forced breathing and a cold or a cough that is not clearing up from the last two to three months. The doctor sent me for a pulmonary test, the results of which I have attached. What do they mean? I have also attached my latest blood reports. Can yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through both the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lung function tests detected a decreased diffusing capacity which can be due to either a vascular disease that decreases the blood supply to a portion of the lung or parenchyma...  Read Full »