Q. Why is there breathlessness in a CKD stage 5 patient?

Dr. Gabriel Matias

My father is a patient of CKD stage 5. He is undergoing dialysis weekly twice. Right now he is having creatinine 9.1, potassium 5.2, and hemoglobin 8.9. Yesterday, he was given two units of blood during dialysis. Despite all that he is having severe breathlessness for these two days. Please, suggest me some medicine. Currently, he is taking tablet Nitrocontin 2.6 mg BD, tablet Cilacar 20 BD, tablet Apresol 25 BD, tablet Folvite BD, tablet Tide 20 BD, tablet Concor Cor 2.5 OD, tablet Ecosprin AV only at night, tablet Sorbitrate SOS, tablet Rivotril 0.5 mg at night, on Insulin Novoropid thrice a day three units each.

#

Your father's potassium and creatinine levels are high. The breathlessness may be because of pulmonary edema. There is no specific medicine for these cases, as the best treatment is dialysis. Consider talking to your nephrologist to do the dialysis more frequently, since it seems to not be enough just twice weekly.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|