Q. Father died during angioplasty due to pulmonary edema. Need second opinion.

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2018

Dear doctor,

My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

What happens in a heart attack is that the patient's heart is not functioning properly. It does not maintain the speed and pressure required. And therefore, the blood and the fluid collects in the body including the lungs. When the fluid collects in the lungs, a person cannot breathe well.

Angioplasty is quite a standard procedure for heart attack. It is an urgent procedure for acute heart attack meaning sudden heart attack or a planned procedure in an angina patient. In either way, if the pumping is slow then pulmonary edema can result. Have a look at the echocardiography, if done. If the LVEF/EF is low, then the chances are that your doctor is right.

Sorry again for your loss.

| 

Is coronary angiography required in chronic stable angina?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 56 years old. She is a patient of hypertension, diabetes, and mild nephropathy. BP 140/80, pulse 96/ min, creatinine 1.3, fasting sugar 125, postprandial 157. From a few months, my mother is suffering from chest pain. The doctor told it is chronic stable angina. All other te...  Read Full »

Heart Attack Explained

Article Overview: This article describes heart attack in simple language, which can be easily understood by common people. Read Article

Our heart works as a pump. As water pump pulls water from back pipes and pushes it to forward pipes, so is the function of our living pump. It receives blood from the body and pumps it forward to the body. Blood contains oxygen and nutrients that our body metabolizes to generate energy, which is re...  Read Article

Coronary Artery Disease - a Common Fatal Heart Problem

Article Overview: Coronary artery disease is a common fatal condition. This article includes the symptoms, tests and treatment of coronary artery disease. Read Article

Coronary artery disease is characterized by blockages in the arteries, which supply blood to the heart. This, in turn, will cause nutrition and oxygen deprivement of the heart, which leads to pain and damage to the heart muscle. Heart dysfunction leads to symptoms or heart attack. When to Suspect C...  Read Article