Q. Father died during angioplasty due to pulmonary edema. Need second opinion.

Dr. Saumya Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Dear doctor,

My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.

#

What happens in a heart attack is that the patient's heart is not functioning properly. It does not maintain the speed and pressure required. And therefore, the blood and the fluid collects in the body including the lungs. When the fluid collects in the lungs, a person cannot breathe well.

Angioplasty is quite a standard procedure for heart attack. It is an urgent procedure for acute heart attack meaning sudden heart attack or a planned procedure in an angina patient. In either way, if the pumping is slow then pulmonary edema can result. Have a look at the echocardiography, if done. If the LVEF/EF is low, then the chances are that your doctor is right.

Sorry again for your loss.

|