Q. I am a 60-year-old nonsmoker and my CT scan report shows scarring in my lungs. Please explain.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe COPD. I am not on oxygen, and I remain active. My oxygen saturation stays around 95 percent. I am 60 years old. My height is 5 feet 10 inches, and my weight is 145 lbs. I am a nonsmoker. A recent CT scan of my back says scarring in my lungs. Please explain the verbiage regarding the lungs. Is this emphysema related, or does this indicate pulmonary fibrosis?

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had a history of moderate to severe COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder) ten years back. Your recent CT scan (computed tomography) has suggested scarring in your lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis is also known as scarring. The lung tissue becomes scarred and damaged. This scarred tissue may worse your lung function. As pulmonary fibrosis worsens over time, respiratory distress or shortness of breath may develop eventually. As your oxygen saturation level is around 95 percent and you have no respiratory problems, you can start doing breathing exercises like blowing the balloons every day. You can also consult a respiratory physiotherapist for breathing exercises. I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|