Inflammation of the innermost layer of the tooth (pulp), which contains the blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissues, is called pulpitis. The symptoms of pulpitis are swelling, tooth pain, sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet food, swollen lymph nodes, bad breath, and slight fever.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is the reddish spot on my molar tooth a cavity?

Query: Hi doctor, I was wondering if my back teeth have a cavity. When I was examining my molars, I came across a strange reddish color on top. I did some research on the internet and read that a cavity will be either brown or black in color. I am very confused. I do not want it to spread and I am asking ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right. Cavities usually look brown or black in color. But, it may still be a cavity that is stained.It could also be something called as chronic hyperplastic pulpitis, which looks like a red swelling in the middle of the tooth. It is a slow chronic irritation of p...  Read Full »

My tooth cavity is filled with an inflamed gum tissue. What procedure should I undergo?

Query: Hello doctor,My tooth has a hole in it, the gums are now inflated and it blocks the hole now. What procedure would the dentist do in my tooth? Also, the placement of the tooth is in the upper middle part.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. According to your description, it is a pulp polyp. It is a pulp hyperplastic condition after acute pulpitis. You do not need to worry because it is not a dangerous condition.There are two possible treatments f...  Read Full »

I have hyperplastic pulp because my gums are coming through the hole in my tooth. How do I overcome this?

Query: Hi doctor,Until I am able to see a dentist is there a way to relieve the pain? After looking up my problem I have hyperplastic pulp. My gums are coming through the hole in my tooth.  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your chief complaint suggests you have got a pulp polyp due to an infection of the carious tooth. You are advised to follow the treatment protocol for pain relief of tablet Ordent BD (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) BD for five days and tablet Ketoroloc 10 mg SOS. Place it un...  Read Full »

Despite applying the numbing gel, the tooth pain does not go away. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe toothache. I do not eat garlic or anything like that. I brushed my teeth and gargled with salt water. I used tooth numbing gel but did not get relief. I have school tomorrow, and I could not go to sleep at all. If I try to sleep, the tooth will ache even more badly. Earlie...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your pain is due to carious teeth. You have developed acute pulpitis, and you will have sleepless nights. I suggest you take up following medications and you will get relieved. Tablet Amoxycillin 500 milligrams two times for five days. Tablet Ketorolac 10 milligram...  Read Full »

I have a burning sensation and pain around my eye and face after RCT. Will the pain persist?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past 2 to 3 weeks, I have had a burning sensation around my eyes and face. I have been diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis or pulp necrosis on my left side, first upper molar. I had a root canal done for the same before 72 hours, but still, my facial pain persists. I have bee...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. The medication prescribed is not a potent analgesic that is Panadol (Acetaminophen) and Ibuprofen. That is why the pain persists. Secondly, Carbamazepine (Tegretol) is given for trigeminal neuralgia and not for irreversible pulpitis. Wo...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain and tiny holes in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have too much pain in teeth and also getting tiny small type holes in teeth. I am a male, 18 years old.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Holes in teeth indicate cavities. If you are having severe pain in teeth this may indicate you are suffering from pulpitis and you need root canal treatment from your dentist. Meanwhile, start with the following medicines. Take Augmentin 625 mg two times a day, Gramex 4...  Read Full »

I have a painless pulp exposed tooth. Will it get infected in future?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth that is gone all the way down. So I think the pulp is exposed but I have no pain whatsoever. Is it only a matter of time before it gets infected or not? If I have no pain, it is dead right?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your history, the pulp is exposed and decayed by now. It means sensations are lost and that is why you are not feeling pain in it. But it does not mean your tooth cannot get an infection now. It can get infected because of the food stuck in it can cause infec...  Read Full »

Should I get my tooth removed if it aches?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth problem in two of my teeth from about a whole week. One tooth is broken and my other one just hurts. It is a lower and upper one. I had a fever for a whole day and my ear has been hurting for two days already. Do I need to go to the emergency room or can I wait to ge...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. It seems to me that you have acute pulpitis. You need to take a five-day antibiotic course and after that, you can get it removed. If you do not have any associated medical history or allergy to any of th...  Read Full »

Can you please help me with the aching tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old, and one of my teeth is paining. My dentist did not prescribe any medicine to take the infection out of the tooth.  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Nandwani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. An infection from a tooth cannot be removed with medication alone and taking antibiotics can temporarily reduce infection, but it can recur any time. So, my suggestion to you is that you should consult a dentist and get an x-ray of your tooth done. ...  Read Full »

Why do I have persistent pain on the left side of the face?

Query: Hi doctor,I think my sinus infection causes pain in my teeth. The pain is relieved only when I hold an ice cube in the mouth. I have severe pain in the entire left side of the face without the ice. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. As per your history of pain, it is relieved only when you keep cold water or ice in your mouth. It is a typical feature of end-stage reversible pulpitis (inflammation of the pulp). The cold water causes vasoconstriction and reduces blood fl...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.