Q. I have some reddish thing on the top of my molar. Is that a cavity?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

I was wondering if my back teeth have a cavity. When I was examining my molars, I came across a strange reddish color on top. I did some research on the internet and read that a cavity will be either brown or black in color. I am very confused. I do not want it to spread and I am asking you just to make sure whether it is a cavity. Also, it hurts a little when I poke it.

#

• You are right. Cavities usually look brown or black in color. But, it may still be a cavity that is stained.
  • It could also be something called as chronic hyperplastic pulpitis, which looks like a red swelling in the middle of the tooth. It is a slow chronic irritation of pulp by cavity. It is also known as pulp polyp and will require root canal treatment.
  • Since you have not posted any pictures, diagnosis cannot be given accurately.
  • So, I suggest you post pictures and if possible get an IOPA x-ray (intraoral periapical) of the tooth.

Revert back with the photos to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|