Q. I get PVCs right after workout and physical activity. Is this a concerning issue?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

I have had PVCs for years now. I noticed lately and I get them also while exercising. Like say today I ran for about five minutes after I stopped running, I felt one right after and one about two minutes later. Wondering if that is anything that it could be. Or if it could potentially turn into something more deadly. I was reading online that exercising and getting PVCs is a little bit more of a concern. I have already had an ECG where they said my heart came back healthy but my PVCs are infrequent so potentially missed on the ECG. I am going back Monday to ask to have a Holter monitor for a bit.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Did you ever undergo an echo or stress cardiac test? Now PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) in general are quite common and may occur during exercise as well. Most of the times, these are benign and will not turn into anything serious, so not worrisome. Exercise induced PVCs are more common in otherwise healthy obese individuals.

However, with any PVCs, we would want to rule out the possibility of structural heart disease/ischemic heart disease with echo and stress tests. So unlikely to be anything serious, as these are benign mostly and you do not have any other symptoms like dyspnea on routine activities, chest pain or syncopes. However, some routine investigations like echo, stress test (and Holter may be done to look for PVCs burden) should be done, if not done recently.

| 

I have not had echo or stress test. I am going to ask the doctor about those Monday. I do not have any other symptoms. She said that the ECG was healthy. I am scared that it missed any PVCs or issues because they are just quick. I have a fear of heart disease.

#

Yes, you should undergo tests once. However, the probability of heart disease is low in the absence of symptoms. PVCs in general are quite common, so there is no need to worry as of now. Since they are intermittent, they may not be picked up on ECG, but Holter monitoring will pick them up and also tell us about the PVC burden.

|