Q. Can premature ventricular contractions (PVC) be the result of anxiety?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Mar 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I am a 34 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs. I gave birth to my second child seven months ago. Ever since then, my heart has had extra beats, and I also have the skipped beat feeling. It happens daily and many times a day at rest. I went to the doctor, and he sent me to the emergency room. I had blood tests, EKGs, chest x-ray and a heart monitor for six hours. The doctor said it was from anxiety and nothing is wrong. However, I have reduced my anxiety but still get them. I returned to the emergency room recently, because it became more frequent, and I was told to do an internet search on health anxiety and heart palpitations for reassurance. I learned that I have PVC. I am still worried about this because they would not go away. Is this really just anxiety?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand how you are feeling.

• PVC (premature ventricular contractions) can be disturbing and scary, but it poses no harm.
  • When you get worried, it leads to anxiety, which is the main reason why your palpitations will increase.
  • Pregnancy is one big process that can bring significant changes to the body of a woman, and some women come out with changes that stick a long time after delivery.
  • I strongly advise you start exercising and relaxation exercises like yoga, it will certainly help even though you might not see the result immediately.
  • I do not wish that you start taking medication for this now. Hope you get better soon.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinod Kumar Goyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yoga is of two types. One for physical exercises called asanas and the second one is meditational yoga. Both have tremendous benefits for life and health. Physical yoga regulates body glands, hormones and cures many diseases of the body. For different persons and condit...  Read Full

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full