Q. How can I quit smoking?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I want to quit smoking. What should I do to quit the habit of smoking? Thank you.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

The decision taken is a great thing in smoking cessation.

You may list the situation when you are tempted for smoking. Keep chewing gum with you. Whenever you feel to smoke, use chewing gum. You may also divert your mind by having coffee, tea, fruit juices, etc.

In many countries, chewing gum (containing a small amount of nicotine) is available, which gives the same kick what we get by a cigarette. After a few days, gradually, we need to use normal chewing gum.

In many countries, the herbal cigarette available, which does not contain nicotine. But, it gives the placebo effect of smoking.

You may go for Yoga and meditation which gives the self-control and divert your mind more towards your profession. Body massage (with medicated oil) also helps to remove toxic substances from your body. Panchakarma of Ayurveda is another option to remove toxins from your body.

Many Psychiatrists and hospitals run smoking cessation clinics. They prescribe low dose nicotine-containing chewing gum or herbal cigarette. They give counseling and practical to come out of thought of smoking. This is definitely helpful to you.

| 

Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil - Uses and Health Benefits

Article Overview: Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is made from the active compound found in marijuana or hemp plant, which has a lot of health benefits and used for some medical purposes. Learn about its uses, effectiveness, and potential side effects. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
General Medicine Physician

What Is Cannabidiol? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a type of phytocannabinoid, which is a group of chemical compounds found in Cannabis plants (also called Marijuana or Hemp) that act on receptors in the brain and alter the release of neurotransmitters. There are around 113 phytocannabinoids identified in c...  Read Article

Vaping E-Cigarettes, a Dangerous Addiction

Article Overview: A misconception among the adolescents and teenagers is that, e-cigarettes are alternative to conservative combustive tobacco smoking and they help in smoking cessation and controlling over the withdrawal effects of nicotine. Read Article

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Electronic (e)-cigarettes (Electronic Nicotine delivery System - ENDS) vaping has gone almost double amongst the adolescents and teenagers, in a few years after the emergence of these new addictive nicotine delivering devices. So, it is an issue of massive impact concerned about the health of teenag...  Read Article

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

Ask a Toxicologist Now