Q. What are the occupational hazards for a person working in an implant manufacturing laboratory?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

I have read an article about disinfectants in implant dentistry now. My brother works in an implant manufacturing laboratory. So, kindly help me know the occupational hazards related to his laboratory work. Are the radiations in his workplace harmful? And also, as his mom had cancer recently, Is he prone to that?

Thanks.

#

Regarding occupational hazards, I would say that implant disinfection involves exposure to specific chemical and laser-assisted methods. As dentistry itself is associated with occupational hazards, all the professionals related to it have some occupational hazards. All of us have oncogenes. But they get activated only by genetic recession, by specific radiation, or through chemical exposures. He has nothing to worry about if he maintains safety measures like a face shield, mouth mask, lifestyle management, and proper oral hygiene. An N95 mask is needed during this pandemic.

I do not think that he is associated with any risk of cancer from his occupation.

Thank you doc . He felt really relieved after your reply because he wasn't aware himself of the repercussions his lab based occupation might have on his lungs or mouth or eyes .
Thanks for the doubt relief
# No thats totally fine ..there are many guys who are prone to occupation hazards but it's not really a sphere of radiation they are exposed to in the implant dentistry field I know of. So nothing to think about.
Regards
Dr Krishna Swaroop

|