Radiation Therapy

How to treat diarrhea following radiation therapy and chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, I just finished with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Now, I feel bloated and nauseated. Also, I am having bad diarrhea. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Satya Narayan

Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all no need to worry. As you have received chemotherapy (Cisplatin) as concurrent therapy, which is the main cause of gastrointestinal tract symptoms. I suggest tablet Ondansetron 8 mg thrice daily and also Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily. If only diarrhea witho...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for an ALK-positive patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother was diagnosed to have ALK positive before two years. He had brain and bone metastasis. He got a brain surgery, WBR and spine radiation. He was on Crizotinib for 10 months and after brain and bone metastasis progression he was on Ceritinib for 5 months. In the latest scan, the d...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your plight. There are a few options more at this time if general condition is good. From the details it appears that chemotherapy is not exhausted yet and it can be utilized now. If only targeted agents are to be discussed, then Alectinib can be offered. ...  Read Full »

What are the chances of cancer recurring after six months of operation?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother-in-law gone through CA tongue right side operation followed by radiation and chemotherapy before six months. From last two weeks, he is getting pain on the left side of the tongue and we consulted the doctor again. Doctor said that there is no possibility for further operati...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that your brother-in-law has undergone treatment for tongue cancer. Radiation so soon after previous radiation therapy is not advisable. The doctor's opinion is correct. This looks like a very aggressive tumor. We can try chemotherapy, but we cannot be sure o...  Read Full »

My wife has breast cancer with irregular periods. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is in remission from stage 2 breast cancer. She underwent chemotherapy and radiation last year. As a result of her treatment, she did not have her period for roughly 13 months. Her period returned last month, but she seems to have missed her period this month. My question is, A...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Loss of ovarian function can happen temporarily or permanently depending on the dosage of the chemotherapy. This happens due to the damage to the immature ovarian follicles containing the immature eggs by the chemotherapeutic agents. So the chances of resumption depe...  Read Full »

What are the risks of stopping radiotherapy halfway?

Query: Hi Doctor, Good Evening. I had tumor in uterus, was admitted in hospital last month and successfully Uterus, Fallopian tube, Lymph nodes all were removed. Biopsy report came after a week. It says Tumor involving more than 50% of thickness of the myometrium., Lymphovascular space invasion present, FI...  Read Full »

Dr. Jatin Bhatia

Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Dear, I am sorry for your predicament. it is indeed difficult time due to pandemic. ideally there should not be any gaps in treatment, since gap result in increased chances of disease recurrence. I would advise to continue treatment, however considering the pandemic, the decision to continue radiat...  Read Full »

Can lymphoma spread to elbow?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just finished three rounds of R-CHOP for stage 1A diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and currently receiving radiation to my hip or groin. Recently I found another lump on my elbow bone, not inside crease but outside. Two weeks ago, my elbow was red and sore. Possibly bursitis but can ...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, you had stage 1A DLBCL (diffuse large B-cell lymphoma) and have already completed 3 R-CHOP. On radiation currently, which is standard therapy. Regarding the lump, I would like to know since when it is present, do you have any pain or tenderness,...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for radiation enteritis.

Query: Hello doctor, After receiving 10 radiations, my father has developed enteritis and his abdomen is swollen. Antibiotics and IV treatment are being carried out. I need further advise here.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Radiation enteritis is a very common side effect of radiation therapy. I need to know the following: How was this diagnosis made? What medications is he taking? Also, mention the part of the body he received radiotherapy and do provide th...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been a patient of recurrent local squamous cell carcinoma. In the last one and half years, he has been operated for cystoprostatectomy and urethrectomy with an ileal conduit for urine bypass followed by lymphonodectomy. After all these surgeries, he had a recurrence seven mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the information and the biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please understand that this pathological report is incomplete, so it is difficult to advise you the further course of therapy. In fact, further therapy will depend¬†on ...  Read Full »

My mom had hysterectomy for adenocarcinoma. Is radiation therapy compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had complex endometrial hyperplasia for which surgery was fixed and last week, hysterectomy along with salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic lymphonodectomy was done. After surgery, the parts were sent for histopathology. It was diagnosed as stage-2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends on the extent of disease within the myometrium and endocervical extent. For further queries consult a medical oncologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist  Read Full »

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post radiation therapy, the skin does suffer a burnt both immediate as well as on a long term. Dryness, itching leading to oozing and crusting are very common complaints after radiotherapy and can start as late as 15 to 20 years too after the treatment. Radiation therap...  Read Full »