Radiation Therapy

Please suggest treatment for radiation enteritis.

Query: Hello doctor, After receiving 10 radiations, my father has developed enteritis and his abdomen is swollen. Antibiotics and IV treatment are being carried out. I need further advise here.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Radiation enteritis is a very common side effect of radiation therapy. I need to know the following: How was this diagnosis made? What medications is he taking? Also, mention the part of the body he received radiotherapy and do provide th...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been a patient of recurrent local squamous cell carcinoma. In the last one and half years, he has been operated for cystoprostatectomy and urethrectomy with an ileal conduit for urine bypass followed by lymphonodectomy. After all these surgeries, he had a recurrence seven mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the information and the biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please understand that this pathological report is incomplete, so it is difficult to advise you the further course of therapy. In fact, further therapy will depend¬†on ...  Read Full »

My mom had hysterectomy for adenocarcinoma. Is radiation therapy compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had complex endometrial hyperplasia for which surgery was fixed and last week, hysterectomy along with salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic lymphonodectomy was done. After surgery, the parts were sent for histopathology. It was diagnosed as stage-2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends on the extent of disease within the myometrium and endocervical extent. For further queries consult a medical oncologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist  Read Full »

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post radiation therapy, the skin does suffer a burnt both immediate as well as on a long term. Dryness, itching leading to oozing and crusting are very common complaints after radiotherapy and can start as late as 15 to 20 years too after the treatment. Radiation therap...  Read Full »

Can photon therapy be repeated for melanocytomas of meninges in cervical spine?

Query: Hello doctor, I have multiple melanocytomas of the meninges in the cervical spine. I had a single tumor removed in 14 years back and it has regrown, along with others. The tumor board where I am being treated recommends radiation. Photon therapy would expose my spinal cord to radiation so it cannot...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Multiple meningeal melanocytomas are usually benign lesion. Now it looks like they have recurred again. So now it is better to take a biopsy first to confirm the diagnosis pathologically and to rule out any other issue . Since your last surgical removal of melanocytoma,...  Read Full »

What is causing this benign meningioma tumor to grow?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 87 years old and has been diagnosed with a benign meningioma of his brain. He had an MRI done recently and it showed that the tumor has grown. He is supposed to undergo radiation therapy soon. Do you know what would cause the tumor to grow? What is the prognosis? Is radiati...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that we cannot determine what made the tumor grow, but you should know that the growth speed depends on the tumor type. There are different types of benign meningioma, which grow at different speeds. A biopsy would h...  Read Full »

Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Radiotherapist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not given enough details, but from what I understand, you need to be given radiation to your nose. With conventional radiation, it is very difficult to save the eye, but we can try computerized radiation like IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) or VMAT (...  Read Full »

Following radiation therapy, my mother's skin has become black. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 55 years old. She was diagnosed with right breast carcinoma around 1.5 years back. She was treated with eight sessions of chemotherapy and then, surgery (mastectomy) and again, 25 sessions of radiation therapy. She got the last dose of radiation therapy around four months ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. This is due to the radiation therapy. It will take some time for the lesions to heal. Daily dressing and pain reliever will help. As her immunity is low because of the radiation, dressing of the wound is essential as chance of infection is high....  Read Full »

Kindly see the MRI report of my relative and guide us.

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my relative. My relative had a seizure attack and fits before a year. We consulted a doctor and started medicine. During the course, the patient reported some slight pain in his head. A week later he started complaining of severe headache with vomiting. So, a CT scan ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The functional MRI and tractography reports are enclosed (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it reads that it is a known case of tumor. However, the tumor in the right parietal lobe, which is the non-dominant part of the brain, can be treated with surgery...  Read Full »

Could radiation therapy cause T-wave inversion?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 65 year old, hypertensive and diabetic female with T-wave inversion V1 to V6 on ECG. ECHO and TMT have done to evaluate further, which was reported to be normal. The patient is on Metformin XR and Tazloc-H. The patient is asymptomatic. Six months back, ECG did not show t...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiologist, Cardiothoracic Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Global T-wave inversion carries a very little significance (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest repeating the ECG again in six months if the patient is asymptomatic. If otherwise, you can get a CT coronary angiography to rule out any CAD ...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.