Rapid Card Test

Is it possible to get HIV from protected sex that happened before six years?

Query: Hi doctor,My friend had a protected sex six years back. Until now, she does not have any symptoms still. Currently, she is going to marry another guy, but she is having a fear of HIV. Is it possible to get HIV? Are there any chances she too gets any HIV after long? She does not take any test up to n...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and questions arising in her mind. She had done protected sex before six years. If she has used precautions as you mention, then there is no chance of acquiring HIV infection. However, if she is not sure about using condoms, she can ...  Read Full »

Are HIV rapid test results reliable after three months of exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I did an HIV card test on 85th day after unprotected sex and it was negative. Again I went for HIV 1 and 2 rapid test on 97th day. It came non-reactive. Do I need any further test after six months? Or is it conclusive?  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances of transmission of HIV by unprotected sex with an HIV positive person is very low. The negative HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure is conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. There is no need for further HIV tests.  Read Full »

Which test is more reliable for Coronavirus infection, swab test or rapid test?

Query: Hello doctor, How is it possible for the patient with three lines in a rapid test to be negative in the swab test? I have a scenario where three of my friends living together tested positive for IgG and IgM. This test brought them to be tested by swab. After three days, the swab test result came ou...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that antibody testing shows that you have been exposed to the infection and may be currently suffering from it. Positive IgG but negative IgM show that you had the infection and do not have it currently. Positive IgG and positive IgM shows that you may...  Read Full »

Are HIV rapid test results reliable as that of Elisa test?

Query: Hello doctor, Post a high-risk exposure with a CSW involving unprotected oral sex and rubbing of genitals for a brief time without full penetration, but possible contact with genital fluid at vaginal opening, I did rapid HIV 1 and 2 tests with fingerprick blood at five months (2 numbers), Comb Aids...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You are right. Rapid test is not as conclusive as ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) to rule out HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). But this is true only for six to eight weeks after exposure. Rapid test can conclusively rule out...  Read Full »

Can any undiagnosed underlying disease interrupt with the test result of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a possible exposure before November 2019. I do not know the exact date. It was oral sex after that I got tested on 19th April, May 28th, and June 14th 2020 all were rapid tests and negative and Elisa on 15th June and it was also negative. My question is, can any other underlyi...  Read Full »

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have tested three times April, May, and June and exposure is on November 19, then it indicates you are negative for HIV completely. You have done a rapid test and Elisa. Western blot test is more confirmatory. Yes, that false negative concept is there but if you...  Read Full »

Is HIV test a fasting or non-fasting test?

Query: Dear doctor,Which is the primary blood test for HIV? Is it fasting or nonfasting? I want to get tested for a routine checkup.  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recommended primary test for HIV detection is the fourth generation HIV rapid test. You need not be fasting for this test. If there is a recent exposure and the test result comes negative, a confirmatory test needs to be done at three months of last exposure. ...  Read Full »

Do you feel CMIA is better than ELISA?

Query: Hi doctor, My CMIA on 177th day was nonreactive with an index of 1.4. My second CMIA on 181st day was also nonreactive with an index of 0.8. These two were done at different places. If you compare ELISA and CMIA combo for HIV antibody testing, which is better? What is the maximum window period of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: CMIA combo - chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay is better as it detects both antigens and antibodies, whereas, ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent a...  Read Full »