Q. Why is there a circular rash on my penis?

Answered by
Dr. Raveendran S. R
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 29-year-old male. When showering earlier this morning, I noticed a circular-shaped rash on the shaft of my penis. I am unsure of the reason the rash appeared as I do not recall changing my routine (types of soap or detergent used). The current rash on the shaft of my penis was noticed this morning. It is not painful or itching. The previous laboratory and STD testing I performed were negative. Please help.

Thank you.



Welcome to

If there was unprotected sex, you need to think of a sexually transmitted infection. I suggest the following test to be taken,

• Treponema Pallidum Hemagglutination (TPHA), HPV DNA test.

• Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) one and two IgG.

• Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) one and two IgM, serum.

• Chlamdia Trachomatis IgG (Immunoglobulin G).

• HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) one and two antibodies, and screening test.

• HbsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen).

If not, it can be a superficial bacterial infection. Then you can use ointment T Bact (Mupirocin) for local application and tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for five days. If there is itching, then it can be a fungal infection. You can use ointment Candid B (Clotrimazole and Beclometasone) for local application and itching. Ensure you wash your genital twice a day, morning and night, use regular water (no cold or hot water). Do not use heavy pH soap. I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Thank you doctor,

Do you think it is an STD?



Welcome back to

We need to consider STI only if there has been unprotected sex.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have red rashes on my penile head with inflammation. Kindly help.

.. to be balanitis. Do you have any urinary complaints like frequency, urgency, low stream, nocturia, dribbling? Do you have any history of diabetes, hypertension, or any medications you are on? Is there any history of unprotected sex with a new part...   Read full

I am having weird pain in my penis. Please help.

The rash on penis can occur in case of urinary tract infection too ... The itching and burning sensation while urinating is mainly due to urinary tract infection ...   Read full

What does rashes on penis foreskin in an HIV positive mean?

I suggest you take an oral antifungal, e ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.