Q. What does rashes on penis foreskin in an HIV positive mean?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Feb 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

I am HIV positive. These days I am having rashes on my penis foreskin (it is bad sometimes). I am on ART. But, the foreskin infection these days scare me. My foreskin seems to be rough, reddish, broken sometimes and even I do not masturbate. Please guide me.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have gone through your query, and I have noted your concern. Firstly, I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area so that I can have a look at the skin and guide you accordingly in the best possible way.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I have sent you the images.

I am under ART meditation for the past one month. My CD4 count was above 400, and all my tests were normal, such as VDRL. However, on seeing X-ray, the doctor has given me EPTB medicines as well for some time. But I think EPTB medicines have nothing to do with this infection. Skin goes bad such as reddish, swollen and sometimes crack as well. As you can see that it is reddish, swollen and cracked too. I asked a doctor, and he suggested me to apply Neosporin. Sometimes it is fine, but most of the time it scares me. I always keep the penis neat and clean with hot water.

Can this penile infection be removed permanently?

Dr. Kakkar

#

I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see a few erosions on the underside of the prepuce. This could be either a fungal/yeast infection or these erosive lesions could be a manifestation of genital herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection.

I suggest you take an oral antifungal, e.g., tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for three days. Also, I suggest you take an oral antiviral, e.g., tablet Acivir (Acyclovir) 400 mg thrice daily for a week. Topically, I suggest you apply T-Bact (Mupirocin) cream twice daily.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent. I advise you to take a laboratory test for herpes simplex virus - HSV ELISA type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM.

I have got the reports. Please take a look.

Dr. Kakkar

#

I have viewed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The index value of IgG for HSV type 1 and 2 is more than 1. It suggests that you have herpes simplex virus infection. Your genital lesions seem to be due to herpes simplex virus infection.

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Homeopathy

Article Overview: Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition, which cannot be cured. To know about homeopathic medicines that give symptomatic relief, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Many people have a misconception that rheumatoid arthritis is the same as osteoarthritis and hence they refer to both as 'arthritis.' But both are different. Osteoarthritis is inflammation of joints, a condition related to old age, which usually occurs after the 50's. ...  Read Article

HSV IgM tested on tongue came negative. Need a second opinion. Is there any Suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had one blood test with herpes simplex IgM diagnosed to be negative, but herpes type 1 was diagnosed to be positive with an index more than 8. Before that he did a test on his tongue and it was negative for herpes. Are these results final? Or is there a chance that he is n...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Herpes simplex virus (HSV) type1 is a very common infection in our population and it usually causes oral lesions known as herpes labialis. At times, the patient is not even aware of the exposure. It can spread through direct contact with the open sores of...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now