Q. What does rashes on penis foreskin in an HIV positive mean?

Answered by
Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am HIV positive. These days I am having rashes on my penis foreskin (it is bad sometimes). I am on ART. But, the foreskin infection these days scare me. My foreskin seems to be rough, reddish, broken sometimes and even I do not masturbate. Please guide me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query, and I have noted your concern. Firstly, I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area so that I can have a look at the skin and guide you accordingly in the best possible way.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you doctor,

I have sent you the images.

I am under ART meditation for the past one month. My CD4 count was above 400, and all my tests were normal, such as VDRL. However, on seeing X-ray, the doctor has given me EPTB medicines as well for some time. But I think EPTB medicines have nothing to do with this infection. Skin goes bad such as reddish, swollen and sometimes crack as well. As you can see that it is reddish, swollen and cracked too. I asked a doctor, and he suggested me to apply Neosporin. Sometimes it is fine, but most of the time it scares me. I always keep the penis neat and clean with hot water.

Can this penile infection be removed permanently?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see a few erosions on the underside of the prepuce. This could be either a fungal/yeast infection or these erosive lesions could be a manifestation of genital herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection.

I suggest you take an oral antifungal, e.g., tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for three days. Also, I suggest you take an oral antiviral, e.g., tablet Acivir (Acyclovir) 400 mg thrice daily for a week. Topically, I suggest you apply T-Bact (Mupirocin) cream twice daily.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent. I advise you to take a laboratory test for herpes simplex virus - HSV ELISA type 1 and 2, IgG and IgM.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you doctor,

I have got the reports. Please take a look.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have viewed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The index value of IgG for HSV type 1 and 2 is more than 1. It suggests that you have herpes simplex virus infection. Your genital lesions seem to be due to herpes simplex virus infection.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
HIV RNA was negative on 21st day? Can it be positive later?

It may be due to irritation or fungal infection ...  It may be due to irritation or fungal infection ...   Read full

Does HSV IgG positive mean we are infected with that virus?

Coming to IgG positive test, when you contract a viral infection or after vaccination, the antibody produced is IgG ... It indicates that you are either vaccinated or had an infection before...   Read full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

.. need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> .. ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Homeopathy

Article Overview: Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition, which cannot be cured. To know about homeopathic medicines that give symptomatic relief, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Many people have a misconception that rheumatoid arthritis is the same as osteoarthritis and hence they refer to both as 'arthritis.' But both are different. Osteoarthritis is inflammation of joints, a condition related to old age, which usually occurs after the 50's. ...  Read Article

HSV IgM tested on tongue came negative. Need a second opinion. Is there any Suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had one blood test with herpes simplex IgM diagnosed to be negative, but herpes type 1 was diagnosed to be positive with an index more than 8. Before that he did a test on his tongue and it was negative for herpes. Are these results final? Or is there a chance that he is n...  Read Full »

Also Read

Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»
I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.