Q. Why am I getting recurrent miscarriage?

Answered by
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2022

Hi doctor,

At first, I ended up with miscarriage in 8 months. It was a natural one when the baby movement got less and I was unable to determine. Then, after eight months I conceived. That also ended with a miscarriage in a month's time. I have gone through D and C. Now, I have been trying to conceive for the past three months after D and C, but I am unable to get pregnant. I have hyperthyroidism and taking medicine Thyronorm 100 mcg for 2 years after my first case. Please explain why is it happening so. What I need to do to conceive again? My age is 30. I had all other tests like rubella and other virus tests and all reports are normal.



Welcome to

  • Three months is a short duration for conception to occur. Chance of pregnancy after trying for six months is 70%. You can safely try naturally for another six months. There is very less likely to be any pathology preventing pregnancy.
  • If conception does not occur in another three months, you need to undergo at least one mid-cycle ultrasound (to know endometrial thickness) and one tubal patency test, as dilation and curettage (D and C) can affect both.
  • Apart from that, investigations for repeated miscarriage, especially antiphospholipid syndrome (autoimmune hypercoagulable state lead to fetal loss) should be done to know the cause and prevent recurrence (repeat miscarriage). Kindly get it done if not already done.
  • Please keep TSH levels (thyroid-stimulating hormone) in the normal range by taking the proper dose of Thyroxine and checking the same every 6 to 12 months. Hypothyroidism can affect baby's brain development.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

May I know the cure for endometrial thickness and antiphospholipid syndrome?



Welcome back to

  • There is no exact cure, but these things can be treated for successful continuation of pregnancy. So, you need not worry right now.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My TORCH test came positive for rubella IgG. Is this the cause for my miscarriages?

.. your concerns. Rubella IgG antibodies indicate either previous old infection or vaccinated status. It is not the cause of the repeated miscarriages. There are many causes of multiple miscarriages most commonly antiphospholipid syndrome. I sugges...   Read full

How to confirm the reason for my abortion?

What could be the reason for this abortion ... Recurrent abortion needs evaluation for the following ...   Read full

Why am I having frequent miscarriages?

A hormonal imbalance like polycystic ovaries need hormonal support like Duphaston and Metformin during pregnancy for maintenance ... It is better to have an early booking with maternal medicine and high risk ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Malaria Prevention Using Monoclonal Antibodies
A recent phase 1 study proved monoclonal antibodies effective in preventing malaria. Read the article to know more.  Read more»
Surgical Ostomy - Types, Causes, Procedure, and Complications
This article briefly discusses ostomy, a surgical procedure where an opening is created between the segment of the gastr...  Read more»
Rotavirus Infection - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Rotaviruses are among the most common causes of severe diarrhoeal disease in young children worldwide. Read the article ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.