Q. How to stay mentally healthy without gaining weight?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2021

I have been using Risperidone 2 mg, Escitalopram 10 mg for psychosis and Met XL 25 mg for hypertension. My weight is 103 kg and my height is 5'7". How to stay mentally healthy without gaining weight? I walk for 5 km for five days a week. I am maintaining a diet with morning tiffin, oil-less curry with rice or roti, night only fruits and tea in the evening. Still, I could not control weight gain. I am doing shift duties. Please advise.

#

I can understand your concern.

• There are two aggravating factors that are contributing to the weight gain in your case.
  • One is the drugs you are taking. Risperidone is known to cause weight gain and you are on this drug since long. This could be the reason of poor control of weight.
  • Another one is your work that is night shift. Workers with increased night duties are more prone to gain weight, though its effect in your case is relatively low.
  • Reducing the meal will not have much benefit. Instead, taking meals three times a day with a good breakfast and lunch and healthy dinner will help in reducing the weight.
  • You are walking five times a week and this is a good thing. Take meals with high proteins, high complex carbs, low fats and refined carbs. This will help in maintaining the weight.
  • I would also advise you to get your thyroid hormone levels done. Associated hypothyroidism could be a cause for weight gain.
  • You can discuss with your psychiatrist to replace Risperidone with some other equally potent antipsychotic drug with least metabolic side effects. Aripiprazole can become a good option if your psychiatrist agrees.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

There is no thyroid problem. I got it tested. Also, as I never experienced hallucinations, can we conclude that my disease as a delusion disorder than paranoid schizophrenia. My memory and thinking are still good. I have been working as a senior engineer for the past 15 years.

#

• Auditory hallucinations, lack of insight, personality deterioration, etc., are the common features of schizophrenia.
  • You are working and are yourself consulting for your symptoms, so the chances of having schizophrenia are less, though I cannot say this with confidence because I have not seen you.
  • If the complaint is of only delusion, then that could be delusional disorder. There is no thought deterioration, so this point towards delusional disorder.
  • But, just continue to take your medicines because treatments of both disorders are almost same.

|