Q. Does Ambien tablet leads to drowsiness, lethargy and drug dependance?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

I have RLS (restless leg syndrome) and started taking tablet Ambien (Zolpidem) 10 mg every night for the past 15 years. It helped me to overcome insomnia and RLS. When I tried to stop the tablet last year, my RLS started again. So I started tablet Requip (Ropinirole) 3 mg once every night and I am increasing the dose to stop tablet Ambien (Zolpidem). I do not have symptoms like drowsiness or side effects of medication. I have annoyance and feel uncomfortable while trying to fall asleep. I am able to perform all the tasks in the midnight. I do not require hospitalization or in person consultation. My iron level is normal.

#

RLS (restless leg syndrome) is a disorder causing mild annoyance to severe symptoms in different patients. It often needs to be treated and requires long-term medication to supress the restless legs and the patient feels better. Tablet Ambien is not the first line of medicine for RLS but you get a relief. There has been no dependence on Ambien in your case, you are able to quit it and continue your work. The sudden and severe manifestations of the pre-existing diseases should be recorded.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I met with a car accident because of driving after taking tablet Ambien (Zolpidem). I had sex with men in the midnight due to my drug dependance. I am not able to work and got medications illegally. Prescribe an alternate medication as I get an emergency situation in the night for work.

#

You should stop tablet Ambien (Zolpidem) and consult visiting an addiction center. I suggest you tablet Mirapex (Pramipexole) 0.125 mg or tablet Pregabalin (Gabapentin) two to three hours before bedtime for relief.

|