Drug Dependence

Does Prozac insomnia go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a medical graduate having trouble in sleeping. My psychiatrist told it is a panic disorder. First she gave me Escitalopram 10 mg for which I got akathisia, severe irritability and sleeplessness got aggravated. She later changed it to Fludac 20 mg in the morning at 8 AM. I did not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Even if it is taken early morning, it can still cause insomnia, particularly in the initial few days or weeks. My advice would be if you are doing well on Fluoxetine, apart ...  Read Full »

I am reluctant to take medicine for insomnia. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia for the past one year. I do get sleep, but around 1 or 2 AM, I used wake up and unable to sleep again. I am 30 years old. I am a married female and have a kid aged 3 years. I am a dentist and now, I am in stem cell research. I do not have any other health prob...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have late insomnia. If there is any associated anxiety or depression, then that should be evaluated properly. Kindly visit a psychiatrist in person. For insomnia, drugs like Amitriptyline or Mirtazapine or Trazodone can be used. These are antidepressant drugs, but ha...  Read Full »

How to stop Heroin safely during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is pregnant and taking Subutex. She just confided to me that she has also been using Heroin, along with Subutex for the last one month. She is afraid to ask her primary care doctor for advice. Her doctor told us in the beginning that it is more harmful to the fetus if the mother ...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ask her to stop taking Heroin over a due course of time by tapering the dose. Tapering the dose gives her minimum side effects, easy to withdraw, cope up with symptoms and less harm to the baby, rather than suddenly withdrawing Heroin, which may increase withdrawal...  Read Full »

How to stop taking the drug Suboxone?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I w...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Suboxone consists of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist. The drug is given in order to replace opioids during opioid de-addiction. If not properly tapered and doses taken regularly, then the drug is known to cause significant dependence....  Read Full »