Q. Can my stomach, legs, and breast numbness be due to iron deficiency or restless leg syndrome?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a female with a height of 5’6 feet and a weight of 205 lbs. I underwent weight loss surgery two years ago. I started binge drinking almost a year later. It started as numbness in my stomach for exactly four months, which eventually led to my legs and then my breast area, which led to tingling in my leg. It is hard to pinpoint where the tingling is, but I mainly feel it in my calves. My feet are not tingling at all, nor numb, and I can walk correctly. Walking is one of the only things that make the tingling stop. When I lay down, sit down thats when I feel it the most. My knee cap feels tight. I stopped drinking completely and have been sober for 3-4 months. I went to the doctors, and they advised for blood work.

I had an iron deficiency, which led them to put me on iron pills and convince me that it is RLS (restless legs syndrome). But I have no urge to move my legs, although I have no idea what thats supposed to mean. But when I do move my legs, it does relieve the tingling. I have been on iron meds for three months. It is still there. My iron has come up, but it is still 38. Still, I do not think it is RLS. Would you please help me? I need answers now because I have to wait for three months before my next appointment. The numbness in my legs remains. My stomach and my breast feeling are also coming back, but I have no idea anymore. I also have another question. My B12 was at normal levels. Can this still be due to alcohol? Alcoholic neuropathy.

#

The feeling in your legs which is relieved by waking around, is very typical for RLS. These symptoms can also involve other body parts, as in your case.

Maintain abstinence from alcohol. Alcohol use can exacerbate RLS, and so does Iron deficiency. Alcoholic neuropathy would not improve on walking, and it takes a longer duration of alcohol use for it to have any significant impact on your nerves. The only other possibility could be a coexisting vitamin deficiency. I would suggest you start on-the-counter multivitamins, especially with the B group of vitamins. And continue with iron supplements. If this does not work, there are other medications like Gabapentin or Pramipexole to deal with these symptoms.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

#

I hope it was helpful. Book a follow-up if you need to in about a month. Regards.

|