Q. Kindly explain RWMA in echocardiography.

Dr. Ahmed Goha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2020

My father aged 66 is diagnosed with these three conditions as per echocardiography. RWMA seen as per text, mild LVsystolic dysfunction, LVEF- 50 % and a clot in heart. What does it mean and what treatment shoud be given?

#

I can understand your concern. The echo findings of RWMA suggests that your father has coronary artery disease which means occlusion or stenosis of coronary arteries that supplies the heart, EF 50 % means the function of the heart is borderline, and their is a clot in the heart, means blood thrombus formation in the heart with main concern of detachment of some of this clot and travels through the circulation and blocks blood vessels like in the brain leads to stroke.

Coronary artery disease.

Myocardial perfusion imaging study to assess the severity and extent of coronary artery disease. Laboratory tests needed if not done: CBC, PT, PC, INR, renal function test, liver function test, lipid profile, HbA1c.

Keep on blood thinner and BP medication prescribed. If not taking medication for lipid, advised to start on a statin Rosuvastatin 20 mg OD.

Healthy diet: low salt, low fat, increase fruits and vegetables. Exercise: 30 minutes at least five days/week. Avoid stress.

Please reconsult after doing the perfusion scan.

|