Q. Kindly explain my dad's echocardiography report and further treatment.

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

My dad underwent echocardiography. The LVEF % which used to be in the range of 45 % earlier has dropped to 30 % to 35 % range. He had an episode of VT before two years and had ICD embedded. I am attaching his earlier and latest report. Please explain.

#

I have gone through his reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Wall motion abnormality is seen in the echo report of your father.

The heart is supplied by three arteries LAD, RCA, and LCX that is, left anterior descending artery, right coronary artery and left circumflex artery respectively.

Any obstruction in blood supply in these vessels will cause decreased blood supply to a particular area of heart (which is supplied by that artery).

As blood supply is compromised the muscles in that part of heart will not get proper nutrition and will start degenerating, which is medically termed as regional wall motion abnormality (RWMA).

A coronary angiogram should be done to rule out coronary artery disease (blockage in the coronary artery), which is the main reason for RWMA and decreased ejection fraction.

My advice is to get a coronary angiogram to rule out the blockage in the coronary artery.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|