Sad Mood

I have problems focusing on things. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have lots of problem in focusing on things. I do lack of confidence in dealing with public and get nervous in social gathering. I become irritated when something wrong happens and always have negative ideas. I have hydrophobia too. Please help.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Presence of negative thoughts, irritability, irrational fear and low self-esteem indicates toward possibility of clinically major depressive disorder. I like to assure you that this is totally treatable condition and there i...  Read Full »

Why do I think about death quite often?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently going through depression. I have been having suicidal thoughts. I have been thinking about death quite often. Last time when I felt depressed, I tried to cut my veins, but got caught. For example the other day at school, I imagined a way of killing a girl. I do not know ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania

General Practitioner, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I reckon that you are going through a very difficult time right now. However, you are dealing with it courageously, and I commend your effort to reach out for help here. We often feel sad, upset and down in life due to various reasons or followed by traumatic eve...  Read Full »

Do sad mood with mood swings and suicidal thought characterize bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have three kids. My oldest is 16 years and she is a bit hard to deal with. I have been noticing her change of moods everyday. My mother, older sister, and younger brother told my middle son, that they hate her, no one wants her close. She had a rough break up, she says she hates lif...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Sharma

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Going by the description of your daughter's life circumstances and events, she seems to be in depression definitely. Is she in bipolar depression can only be determined if she exhibits the following. 1) Cycles of depression and mania. 2) There should be discrete ep...  Read Full »

How can self-hatred and low self-esteem be managed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about my friend's self hatred. She is 23 years old. The problem with her is that even though she is a really helpful and benevolent person she hates herself and her existence. She always wants to stay sad so that she does not have to fall to low when a sad event occurs. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is heartening to note that you are actively trying to support your friend. From your description, it is possible that your friend is experiencing some depressive symptoms. Cognitive distortions, thinking errors can be present in these situations which can lead to ...  Read Full »

I feel depressed and suffocated. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I feel low all the time. I do not like to do any work, neither do I feel like eating. I feel like something inside me is being broken or cramped. I feel like crying out loud. While listening to songs, my eyes get filled with tears, and I start crying. I feel¬†suffocated. Long back, when I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehmet Akif Camkurt

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with depression and anxiety. As you stated this is the second episode, it alerts us that you have recurrent depressive episodes which are a predictor for further ones. Depression usually lasts about three to six month...  Read Full »

My husband is sad, depressed and behaves rudely. Is he mentally ill?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband is mostly sad and depressed. He cannot listen a word against him or his family(mom, dad & sister). He gets mad and behaves very rudely with everyone if they do not agree to what he says. He fought with his boss in his company for silly reasons. He abuses me emotionally an...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Considering the history of the symptoms you have mentioned, there are few possibilities. One is some underlying mood disturbance which could part of bipolar disorder. This should be appropriately evaluated to make a diagnosis. Repetitiv...  Read Full »

Is sleep disturbance a side effect of Fluoxetine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very sad, and I am surrounded by negative thoughts and anxiety. I have taken Fluoxetine (Fludac 20) for 6 weeks. Now I am fine, but I wake up early in the morning around 3.30 AM. Hence having disturbed sleep in the morning. My doctor changed medicine to Flunil 40. I think this dose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Being an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) Fluoxetine causes sexual dysfunction. Both these side effects can be treated by taking tablet Trazodone (brand name...  Read Full »

No matter the situation, why do not I ever get happy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I am having a long-standing history of severe depression episodes on and off for 20 years. Despite everything, I have a degree, full-time job and home of my own. I have done really well last few years too after CBT. I have stayed well and even been promoted at ...  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. You should be able to distinguish between disappointment and depression. Disappointment also brings on symptoms identical to depression but they are short lived. You had multiple disappointing episodes and some of them were so deep. ...  Read Full »

How can someone be brought out of sorrow of losing a dear one?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother lost her father who she loved very much. Though the incidence was about 5 to 6 months back, she is not able to come out of the sorrow. She always remains depressed. We are trying our best to cope with her, but the situation is not improving.  Read Full »

Dr. Akanksha Sharma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It might be that she might be suffering from adjustment disorder due to loss of a loved one because of which you are seeing these symptoms. It happens at a late age when you lose your spouse. But you should be careful that it does not proceed ahead. Also, please let me ...  Read Full »

Are daily crying spells a sign of depression?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 14 year old boy. I usually live by routine, but whenever I find free time, I usually become very sad until I cry. This happens almost every night before I sleep. Yesterday night, I thought of going out with my friends, until one friend said he was going to watch a movie with hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you are experiencing low mood, crying spells, and paranoid thoughts. You are not in a depression. Teenagers might experience certain mood swings due to hormonal changes in the body. You are going through the same. With the mentioned symptoms, y...  Read Full »