Scaly Scalp

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis from your history would still be seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis or scalp psoriasis. This is more of a cyclical problem, it tends to curb down with 2 to 3 months of treatment, but recurring back with a change in season or lifestyle. However, it n...  Read Full »

I have hard lumps on my scalp that are red and white. What could they be?

Query: Hello¬†doctor,I have these red and white hard lumps on my scalp. Some are not lumpy but, are just marks. Can you tell me what they are and how to get rid of them? I have dandruff as well.  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be pityriasis sicca. The diagnosis can be confirmed with a trichoscopy and skin biopsy. Consider the application of Onabet B lotion (Beclomethasone and Sertaconazole) at bed time over the scalp for 14 days. Use a shampoo that contains 2 % Ketoconazole to wash th...  Read Full »

I have a scaly patch on my scalp which does not go away. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a chronic 3 cm patch on my scalp, which has scales in it. If I remove these scales, gum-like liquid forms in that area and it dries to form the scales again. It reduces if I tonsure my hair and increases with hair growth. I do not have similar patches anywher...  Read Full »

Dr. Asiya Hafeez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a partially treated lesion. From your description, your scaly scalp could be seborrhea or psoriatic plaque. An autoimmune disorder has probably caused it. Investigations to be done: Fasting lipid. Hepatitis B and C serology. Skin biopsy. Scraping for fungus. I su...  Read Full »

I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I have severe dandruff, mild itching and hair fall. I consulted two doctors. First one said that it may by scalp psoriasis and the other told that it looks like some fungal infection....  Read Full »

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Dermatologist, Venereologist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the symptoms can be of both seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis. To differentiate, please answer the following. Do have a family history of psoriasis? Is there a history of exacerbation in winter or itching over the face and back? Please f...  Read Full »