Q. I have a scaly patch on my scalp which does not go away. Please advise.

Dr. Asiya Hafeez
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

I have been suffering from a chronic 3 cm patch on my scalp, which has scales in it. If I remove these scales, gum-like liquid forms in that area and it dries to form the scales again. It reduces if I tonsure my hair and increases with hair growth. I do not have similar patches anywhere else in my body. I have tried many medicines, but they were of no use. I am currently using Lobate ointment with no result. Please suggest an efficient treatment for the same.

#

• It is a partially treated lesion. From your description, your scaly scalp could be seborrhea or psoriatic plaque. An autoimmune disorder has probably caused it.
  • Investigations to be done:
  1. Fasting lipid.
  2. Hepatitis B and C serology.
  3. Skin biopsy.
  4. Scraping for fungus.
  • I suggest you apply Betamethasone dipropionate twice daily for two weeks and follow-up with pictures. Use a shampoo with Salicylic acid as one of the key ingredients.
  • Avoid smoking, alcohol, and the use of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|