Q. I have Schamberg's disease with dry scalp, redness and fissured tongue. Please help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

I have Schamberg's disease, dry skin on face, ears, scalp, and mustache, redness on face, steroid induced erythema, geographic tongue, and fissured tongue. Please help.

#

Schamberg's disease is a progressive pigmentary dermatosis which basically involves lower legs. Have you consulted a dermatologist earlier? Please send images of body parts involved and revert back. Also, are there any associated symptoms?

I have them on lower legs only and also request you to look into the other problems as well that I mentioned earlier and provide a fruitful treatment and medication.

#

Schamberg's disease is caused by leaky blood vessels (especially the small capillaries) leaving blood products under the skin and the subsequent breakdown of those blood cells which leads to pigmentation. Also, there are varicosity seen over lower limb which can further cause stasis dermatitis.

Geographic tongue can be treated with oral zinc supplements. Apply Zytee (Cholinie salicylate and Benzalkonium chloride) gel if there is burning sensation. Avoid hot spicy foods and tobacco.

Dry flaky skin over the scalp, face and mustache can be seborrheic dermatitis. Clinical photographs would have help to diagnose.

If you have steroid-induced erythema then consider application of Tacrolimus 0.03% cream at bedtime over the face or Erythego (Brimonidine) gel at bedtime. Sunscreen application is very important.

|