Q. What are the ways to treat thoracolumbar scoliosis?

Dr. Rajesh Gayakwad

I am a 20-year-old female. I have double thoracolumbar scoliosis with a curvature of 40 degrees. Can a spinal decompression surgery improve my condition? If yes, then by how many inches will my height improve? I have lost a lot of height due to the condition.

Kindly suggest.

#

I understand your concern and would be happy to help. If the curve was greater than 30 degrees before peak height was reached during or after the onset of menstruation, then there is a strong likelihood for the need for surgery. Based on the skeletal maturity of the patient, the magnitude of deformity, and curve progression following treatments are advised:

• Observation - If the curve is less than 25 degrees.
  • Bracing - If the curve is between 25 to 45 degrees.
  • Surgery - If the curve is more than 45 degrees.

An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the spinal column is advised before surgery. If surgery is planned, posterior fusion remains the gold standard in most cases of thoracic and double major curves.

Kindly revert in case of further questions.

|