Common "Septicemia" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Septicemia is caused due to a bacterial infection affecting the blood. Lung infections, urinary tract infections, skin infections, and infections affecting the intestine can cause septicemia. Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli are infective organisms that cause septicemia. The body gives an immune response to infection leading to septic shock in severe cases. Septicemia is a medical emergency, and it needs to be treated immediately. It is treated by taking antibiotics and intravenous fluids. It can cause tissue damage, organ failure, and death in untreated cases.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why do I have pain in my heart with low blood pressure?

Query: Hi doctor, I have low blood pressure and am suffering with low pain in the heart for the past two days.  Read Full »

Dr. Duaa Salem Alfituri Shubar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to We define low blood pressure if the reading is lower than 90 mm Hg systolic or 60 mm Hg diastolic or if the patient has symptoms which are lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, blurred vision or lack of concentration. These symptoms are most prominent when individuals g...  Read Full »

I underwent blood test this week. Kindly review my reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I got a blood test done this week. The investigations are as follows: Red cell distribution width is 11.4 %, platelets count is 130*10^3 per microliter of blood, and mean platelet volume is 13.3 fL. Morphology remarks: Giant platelets are seen, and small clumps of platelets are seen.  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Let me tell you that there are abnormalities like high MPV (mean platelet volume) and the presence of giant platelets. This type of picture occurs when there is platelet destruction. So, the bone marrow is stimulated more, and hence a lot of premature platelets get...  Read Full »

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it h...  Read Full »

What does high vacuolated neutrophils indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I understand that a high vacuolated neutrophil result can be indicative of impending sepsis. Is it possible for someone to have this result and an infection that does not make the patient's symptoms visibly worse for a week? If so, could you give some examples of such infections? The...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I appreciate your knowledge. You are right, vacuolated neutrophils suggest towards infective etiology is more likely. But let me know in such a case usually neutrophilia is also seen. So vacuolated neutrophils interpretation should be done in accordance with total WBC (...  Read Full »

I am hospitalized for double pneumonia and septic poisoning, and my previous sexual partner is HIV positive now. What blood tests should I take?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently hospitalized for double pneumonia and septic poisoning. The doctor says that hospitals need to conduct blood tests to check for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus), hepatitis C, hepatitis B, hepatitis A, and tuberculosis. I have also learned that my former sexual partner ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shah Sushma Kant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understood your concern. Based on the information you provided, and considering history of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in your sexual partners, I suggest you to undergo the tests suggested by the hospital. Since you are hospitalized fo...  Read Full »

Are high fever and chills symptoms of kidney stone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41-year-old woman and started having severe lower back pain and nausea about a week ago. Went to the ER, had a CT scan, diagnosed with a 0.25 inches kidney stone in my right ureter with mild hydronephrosis. I was given Percocet and sent home with instructions to see a urologist. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to High fever and chill are indicative of infection indeed and as we have a cause rightly evident there are chances that you may be developing hydronephrosis (accumulation of urine in swollen kidney) in the right kidney and a secondary infection following stasis of urin...  Read Full »

What are the diagnostic tests to confirm MGUS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. My BMI is 21. I have multiple complex symptoms over time, especially polyarthralgia, maculopapular body rashes, hypertension, photosensitivity, tension headaches, fatigue, bone and body pain, numerous infections in kidney, chest, ears, mouth, nose, bladder, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to According to history, you have been diagnosed with MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance). But now, due to increased viscosity in blood by monoclonal paraproteins, you have symptoms like hypertension, headache, rash, etc. So as per my opinion, ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.