Septicemia

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it ha...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in heart in a hypotensive patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I have low blood pressure and am suffering with low pain in the heart for the past two days.  Read Full »

Dr. Duaa Shubar

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We define low blood pressure if the reading is lower than 90 mm Hg systolic or 60 mm Hg diastolic or if the patient has symptoms which are lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, blurred vision or lack of concentration. These symptoms are most prominent when individuals g...  Read Full »

Are high fever and chills symptoms of kidney stone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old woman and started having severe lower back pain and nausea about a week ago. Went to the ER, had a CT scan, diagnosed with a 6.5 mm kidney stone in my right ureter with mild hydronephrosis. I was given Percocet and sent home with instructions to see a urologist. I was ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. High fever and chill are indicative of infection indeed and as we have a cause rightly evident there are chances that you may be developing hydronephrosis (accumulation of urine in swollen kidney) in the right kidney and a secondary infection following stasis of urin...  Read Full »

Are there abnormalities in my blood reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I got a blood test done this week. The investigations are as follows: Red cell distribution width is 11.4 %, platelets count is 130 thou/UI, mean platelet volume is 13.3 fL. Morphology remarks: Gaint platelets are seen, and small clumps of platelets are seen.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me tell you that there are abnormalities like high MPV (mean platelet volume) and the presence of giant platelets. This type of picture occurs when there is platelet destruction. So, the bone marrow is stimulated more and hence a lot of premature plat...  Read Full »

After the first chemotherapy session for CLL, my dad has a persistent fever. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to enquire about my dad's health. He is 82 years old and has been having chronic lymphocytic leukemia for the past seven years. He had no symptoms other than the high blood cell count and was doing regular checkups every six months. Recently, his hemoglobin level dropped a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq.com. You have mentioned in the history that the patient is having chronic lymphocytic leukemia. And the total count is high, as per history. So, chronic lymphocytic leukemia seems to be in the aggressive stage. Blood culture and other scan reports are normal as per hist...  Read Full »

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having low platelet count and blue blotch over the body. The skin discoloration can be from low platelet as thrombocytopenia can lead mucosal bleeding. If it seems cyanotic patches on examination then cardiac, respiratory and vascular causes need to be sear...  Read Full »