Q. Why is there pain in heart in a hypotensive patient?

Dr. Duaa Shubar
Published on Apr 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 30, 2019

I have low blood pressure and am suffering with low pain in the heart for the past two days.

Dr. Duaa Shubar

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

We define low blood pressure if the reading is lower than 90 mm Hg systolic or 60 mm Hg diastolic or if the patient has symptoms which are lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, blurred vision or lack of concentration. These symptoms are most prominent when individuals go from the lying or sitting position to the standing position. The causes of low blood pressure could be endocrine problems, dehydration, blood loss, severe infection (septicemia), severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis), or lack of nutrients in your diet.

My advice to you is to eat a diet higher in salt, drink a lot of fluid especially in hot weather and while sick with a viral illness. And for your case, try to measure your blood pressure before and after taking normal saline. If there is no change, you can talk to an endocrine specialist.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having low platelet count and blue blotch over the body. The skin discoloration can be from low platelet as thrombocytopenia can lead mucosal bleeding. If it seems cyanotic patches on examination then cardiac, respiratory and vascular causes need to be sear...  Read Full

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now