Shingles

Are the painful rashes on my left thigh shingles?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got very painful rashes on my left thigh which seems to be going up to my spinal cord. Is it shingles? I do not know but I want a good diagnosis soon. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this does look like shingles. Please visit a dermatologist on an urgent basis and start on antiviral like Acyclovir or Valacyclovir as soon as possible. Other possible causes for sudden occurrence of such lesions can be irritant contact dermatitis that you can ...  Read Full »

After shingles, can I get chickenpox also?

Query: Hello doctor, Are there chances of developing chickenpox after shingles?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chickenpox and shingles are caused due to the same virus. Chickenpox occurs first and the virus stays dormant in the dorsal ganglia of the spinal nerves. After years or when immunity decreases, the person gets an attack of shingles. Most people get shingles only once, b...  Read Full »

Does numbness, burning and tingling sensation on face mean trigeminal neuralgia?

Query: Hello doctor, Three and a half months ago I started with numbness, burning and tingling on the left side of my face. I had been very sick with a chest cold. One week later I had blisters on my upper left palate, I went to the doctor and she said definitely shingles. Now l never had any pain or sens...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should know that trigeminal neuralgia is a common complication of shingles or herpes infection. As blisters appeared the first time, it means that the herpes infection was present (probably HSV1 (herpes simplex virus, which is typical in this region). It is quite...  Read Full »

I have shingles and taking Acyclovir. Can I travel?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a patient, age 30, with Crohn’s disease. I take Humira and recently had a flare up, thus started a round of Prednisone to get through the flare-up. The combination of Humira and Prednisone has resulted in shingles. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Acyclovir. I was six days in...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Shingles involve a single dermatome. So, it is unlikely going to spread and will heal completely in two weeks. Prednisolone is a steroid and can cause reactivation of Shingles. So you need to take Acyclovir at least for one week and continue...  Read Full »

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is herpes zoster, which is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus in the body due to an immunocompromised status like pregnancy. But thankfully, the effects are not disastrous for the unborn baby as your wife already has antibodies against the virus in her b...  Read Full »

Kindly update me about PNP immunodeficiency disease.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son was diagnosed with PNP immunodeficiency three years back. This was diagnosed after a battle of bailyacaris that he survived. He has recently been diagnosed with ME polyomavirus in his brain and LP fluids. He was the first case in history in my residential area. VZV w...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. PNP deficiency is a very rare condition, in which the body is unable to produce certain immunity related cells called T cells, this happens due to some gene defects and is usually inherited. (But parents might not be affected). This causes the child to get frequent i...  Read Full »

Why did I get chickenpox for the second time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I am suffering with chickenpox. I got this in the past too. How to get rid of it?  Read Full »

Dr. Tim Evans

Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We normally do not get chickenpox on more than one occasion. This is because, we develop a strong immune response to the virus and our body fights it before the infection takes hold. However, of course it is possible. If you did not develop a strong initial immune re...  Read Full »

What could be the cause of blisters with surrounding redness in the skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am inquiring about a small group of rashes that appeared about a week ago and have not changed much. They are small clusters of raised bumps that are slightly itchy. It aches with movement and aggravated when touched. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are few papulovesicles (few are solid bumps, few blisters as per the picture) arranged in groups, with erythema (redness) at the base involving the right side of the chest. Features are consisten...  Read Full »

What are the chances of having shingles again when I am older?

Query: Hello doctor,I went to a doctor for a pain in the abdomen. After a few days, pimple-like blisters appeared on the center left stomach and center lower back. I went to the doctor again on day-2 of blisters and it was already fluid-filled. The doctor prescribed Acyclovir 800 mg five per day for seven...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Completing the prescribed course of medication during an active infection will reduce the chances and increases the gap between the episodes. As the age goes on, and when there is low immunity, there are chances of reactivation of shingles again. It entirely depen...  Read Full »

From the photo, can you tell me if the lesions are shingles?

Query: Hi doctor, From what was being thought to be muscular inflammation of the back under the shoulder a week ago with constant pain since last week. I have lesions in my body, which look like shingles. I am attaching a photo of these lesions.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main complaint is pain under shoulder and you are suspecting herpes zoster (shingles). Herpes zoster begins with pain along the affected root of nerve followed by an appearance of the rash. The rash is painful and progresses over 7 to 10 days. The pain starts d...  Read Full »