Shingles

I have recurrent shingles. Will vaccination help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have been getting shingles since I was 6 years old. Until high school, I would get it once a year around the same time. Then, I began getting it twice a year. As I got older, I started getting multiple outbreaks in a year. I have had shingles for 27 ye...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history, it is apparent that you are getting frequent recurrences of shingles, which have increased in the recent past. Shingles occur when your body immune system is low. I am not aware if you are on medication as that may lower your immune system (except f...  Read Full »

Why was my face swollen on both sides of the cheekbones today morning?

Query: Hi doctor, This morning I noticed that my face was swollen on both sides of the cheekbones. Mildly a Zirtek and a 16 mg Medrol in the afternoon. It has not entirely receded. I feel numbness and burning sensation. The color of the skin has not changed. Yesterday I took Algofren 400.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is this the first time you have used Algofren (Ibuprofen)? Do you have any allergic reactions to other types of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Aspirin? Do you have any fever or changes in vision? Do you have any pain in the mouth, or oral ulcers...  Read Full »

Is Acyclovir routinely prescribed after shingles vaccination?

Query: Hi doctor, Just to be safe, I got shingles vaccine from a local clinic, as my healthcare provider was out. I had to get two shots. They advised me to get a prescription for Acyclovir, a herpes suppression medication, after getting the shot. I did so. Now I am genuinely confused about why they had m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conveniently Acyclovir after shingles vaccine is not used in the average-risk population. Do you have a compromising immune condition? Like HIV (human immunodeficiency viruses), cancer, or other inborn diseases? Thank you.  Read Full »

Can Steroids be used for shingles?

Query: Hi doctor, My father got shingles and he is 65 years old. He used antivirals till they were completely used, also, he uses Pergabalin, Alfen 100 and Methocarbamol for pain management. Last night, we went to another doctor and he prescribed Hydrocortisone cream and he used it, so, his injury becam...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is an extremely painful condition. The use of steroids in shingles (Zoster) is debatable and is a double edged sword, in a few it causes wonders. Well coming to the current clinical presentation, the reappearance of lesions in the same site may be due to: ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the management of shingles.

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has a pretty severe case of shingles. Starting on the left side mid back and goes around to the belly. She has been prescribed Pregabalin and it is not helping, they tried Gabapentin and she has bad side effects from it. We have tried compounded pain ointments, ice, cool water,...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles or Herpes Zoster occur due to reactivation of chicken pox virus which hide in spinal nerve ganglion during childhood. Reactivation can occur in immunosuppression or old age, thus it runs along a nerve in girdle like fashion. It starts with fluid filled lesion w...  Read Full »

Are the painful rashes on my left thigh shingles?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got very painful rashes on my left thigh which seems to be going up to my spinal cord. Is it shingles? I do not know but I want a good diagnosis soon. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this does look like shingles. Please visit a dermatologist on an urgent basis and start on antiviral like Acyclovir or Valacyclovir as soon as possible. Other possible causes for sudden occurrence of such lesions can be irritant contact dermatitis that you can ...  Read Full »

After shingles, can I get chickenpox also?

Query: Hello doctor, Are there chances of developing chickenpox after shingles?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chickenpox and shingles are caused due to the same virus. Chickenpox occurs first and the virus stays dormant in the dorsal ganglia of the spinal nerves. After years or when immunity decreases, the person gets an attack of shingles. Most people get shingles only once, b...  Read Full »

Does numbness, burning and tingling sensation on face mean trigeminal neuralgia?

Query: Hello doctor, Three and a half months ago I started with numbness, burning and tingling on the left side of my face. I had been very sick with a chest cold. One week later I had blisters on my upper left palate, I went to the doctor and she said definitely shingles. Now l never had any pain or sens...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should know that trigeminal neuralgia is a common complication of shingles or herpes infection. As blisters appeared the first time, it means that the herpes infection was present (probably HSV1 (herpes simplex virus, which is typical in this region). It is quite...  Read Full »

I have shingles and taking Acyclovir. Can I travel?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a patient, age 30, with Crohn’s disease. I take Humira and recently had a flare up, thus started a round of Prednisone to get through the flare-up. The combination of Humira and Prednisone has resulted in shingles. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Acyclovir. I was six days in...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Shingles involve a single dermatome. So, it is unlikely going to spread and will heal completely in two weeks. Prednisolone is a steroid and can cause reactivation of Shingles. So you need to take Acyclovir at least for one week and continue...  Read Full »

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shingles is herpes zoster, which is the reactivation of the chicken-pox virus in the body due to an immunocompromised status like pregnancy. But thankfully, the effects are not disastrous for the unborn baby as your wife already has antibodies against the virus in her b...  Read Full »