Q. What are the chances of having shingles again when I am older?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

I went to a doctor for a pain in the abdomen. After a few days, pimple-like blisters appeared on the center left stomach and center lower back. I went to the doctor again on day-2 of blisters and it was already fluid-filled. The doctor prescribed Acyclovir 800 mg five per day for seven days. I stopped Acyclovir on day-4 because of severe dizziness, but the blisters are already pus-filled, and bruise-colored. I am on day-5 of shingles now. Is it alright to stop the medication? Also, what are the chances of having shingles again as I get older?

#

Completing the prescribed course of medication during an active infection will reduce the chances and increases the gap between the episodes.

As the age goes on, and when there is low immunity, there are chances of reactivation of shingles again. It entirely depends on your immunity.

Shingles can occur anywhere in the body. There is nothing to worry regarding the site of occurrence.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|