Q. I have painful rashes on thigh that spreads? Is it shingles?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2019

I have got very painful rashes on my left thigh which seems to be going up to my spinal cord. Is it shingles? I do not know but I want a good diagnosis soon. Please help.

#

Yes, this does look like shingles. Please visit a dermatologist on an urgent basis and start on antiviral like Acyclovir or Valacyclovir as soon as possible.

Other possible causes for sudden occurrence of such lesions can be irritant contact dermatitis that you can rule out by thinking if you have come in contact with any chemicals or insects on these areas.

Thank you so much doctor,

I live in a place where I can visit a dermatologist only on Sunday. What should I do till then? Should I start the antiviral dose medication? Please suggest.

#

You can take the prescription medicine from any general practitioner around. For now, start on Acyclovir 800 mg, 5 times a day along with painkillers like Ibuprofen. But as a first thing, get a complete examination done by your physician tomorrow morning.

|