Q. What to do for shortness of breath after vaping e-cigarette?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I am suffering from shortness of breath after vaping e-cigarette. I consulted doctors and they said my lungs are fine. I read on the internet that a lot of people suffering with the same. When I reduce my e-cigarette I feel better.

Also, I had FESS surgery and SMR before two weeks. My current medication is nasal spray Propolis. Is my problem related to acid reflux? Please explain me.

#

I have carefully reviewed your case and can well establish the issues you are facing right now. Actually, the chemicals in e-cigarette are very dangerous for the lungs and airways. They cause narrowing of the small airways due to toxic effects caused directly by the vapor and that is why you feel short of breath.

Yes, acid reflux is one of the aggravating factors for shortness of breath. In GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) the stomach acid regurgitates and irritates the upper respiratory tract mucosa causing the allergic reaction that may cause shortness of breath.

I have seen many patients with the same problem. You need to consult your physician locally to see how can you get rid of the e-cigarette and your physician will guide you according to the personal circumstances on how to leave it gradually.

Once you quit, your respiratory tract mucosa will start the heal up process and will be better in a few months to a couple of years depending on the duration of your cigarette smoking or vaping.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|