Q. What to do for shortness of breath after vaping e-cigarette?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I am suffering from shortness of breath after vaping e-cigarette. I consulted doctors and they said my lungs are fine. I read on the internet that a lot of people suffering with the same. When I reduce my e-cigarette I feel better.

Also, I had FESS surgery and SMR before two weeks. My current medication is nasal spray Propolis. Is my problem related to acid reflux? Please explain me.

Do you have a question on Shortness Of Breath or Gerd?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS
Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine

I have carefully reviewed your case and can well establish the issues you are facing right now. Actually, the chemicals in e-cigarette are very dangerous for the lungs and airways. They cause narrowing of the small airways due to toxic effects caused directly by the vapor and that is why you feel short of breath.

Yes, acid reflux is one of the aggravating factors for shortness of breath. In GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) the stomach acid regurgitates and irritates the upper respiratory tract mucosa causing the allergic reaction that may cause shortness of breath.

I have seen many patients with the same problem. You need to consult your physician locally to see how can you get rid of the e-cigarette and your physician will guide you according to the personal circumstances on how to leave it gradually.

Once you quit, your respiratory tract mucosa will start the heal up process and will be better in a few months to a couple of years depending on the duration of your cigarette smoking or vaping.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the treatment for COPD?
Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full »

Why does my breathlessness get worse when cocaine wears off?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking cocaine once a week for 20 years and on the 1st of last month, I started getting a cough and breathless. It was getting worse when the cocaine wore off. Anyway, I had an ECG which was clear and a 24-hour tape also clear. CT scan on lungs clear. Then I had an ultraso...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, cocaine has got a wide range of effects on the heart. So, hypokinesia means there is some damage to the heart which may be due to cocaine or may be due to coexistent coronary artery disease. So, you will need coronary angiography preferably, conventional and...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?
Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now