Q. I have stiffness and pain in the shoulders after waking up in the morning. What is the cause?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2020

I am 22 years old female. I am waking up with stiffness in my shoulder and ankles. It got started before three months. Before three weeks, I waked up with pain and stiffness in my right shoulder with limited range of motion. Now, I have stiffness on both of my shoulders and ankles when I wake up. The stiffness in my ankles goes away in a few minutes. But the stiffness and pain in the shoulder lasts throughout the day. What is the reason?

#

You might have pain originating in the neck. It can cause spasm and stiffness in the shoulder. Posture during sleeping can also aggravate the spasm and it leads to stiffness in the shoulder. Get your neck and shoulder assessed properly. Try to drink a lot of fluids and ice up the shoulder on the backside and neck. Try to do gentle neck stretches and it helps to relax the shoulders. Try to massage the neck and shoulder followed by icing to regain the range. Do some basic shoulder movements and mobility exercises.

| 

From yesterday I have a problem while peeing. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old male, and I have a problem while peeing from yesterday. It feels heavy under my stomach, just below my penis. Every time I try to pee, I cannot, and I have to push in order to do so. I drank an entire bottle of water today. Normally, I would be able to pee after a...  Read Full »

Why am I having shoulder pain radiating to arms and hands?

Query: Hello doctor, There is shoulder pain going into arm and hands. It intensifies with moving the neck.  Read Full »

Why am I having an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not conc...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Physiotherapist Now