Q. Can stress, weight loss or dehydration cause an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

Answered by Dr. Bindiya Thakkar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Levels or Liver Tests? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can stress, weight loss or dehydration cause an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not concerned by this but the highest I have seen it was three years ago when it was at .53 (total bilirubin).

However, during the last month, I went from 282 lbs to 265. I have been extremely stressed out about it. Health problems and my anxiety are high. I barely slept the night before the tests and am possibly dehydrated. Could these factors have contributed to the increase? I am concerned about bile duct obstruction.