Q. Can bacterial infection cause sinusitis and throat pain in me?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

I suffer from sinusitis, mucus, and post-nasal dripping, which gives me a raw feeling in the throat. This time the flare-up seems worse, and there is numbness in the ears at times. I would like to know if it is a bacterial infection or an allergy. I do not want to take anti-allergy medication for long periods and would like to take antibiotics to rule out bacterial infection. Kindly suggest.

#

According to your symptoms, it seems to be an acute flare-up of sinusitis. You need to take antibiotics like Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) if you do not have any other condition for which you are taking medication. Also, I would suggest you take oral and topical decongestants like tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol 500 mg, Phenylephrine 10 mg, and Chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg) and Otrivin (Xylometazoline hydrochloride and Ipratropium bromide) nasal drops. Make sure to take steam inhalation. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medications with their consent.

Thanks for your answer. Could you tell me the power of the tablet Amoxyclav and how many days should I take it? Kindly suggest.

#

I suggest you take Amoyclav (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) 625 mg twice daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medications with their consent.

|