Q. Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Mar 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life with my wife and my social life as well. Please help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Did you get any CT scan of your sinuses done before to rule out sinusitis?

Yes, sinusitis can cause such symptoms and to rule out that a CT scan is needed.

Sinusitis also causes nose block, headache, and post-nasal drip. So if you have any of these symptoms, then it can be due to sinusitis.

Have you tried mouth gargles for the same symptoms? If not, then you can use mouth gargles as that will help.

Also, tonsillitis causes such symptoms. Kindly send me a picture of your throat and oral cavity.

Sinusitis or tonsillitis.

CT scan of paranasal sinuses (plain).

Revert with the report to an ENT otolaryngologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is a category B drug, which otherwise means it is very safe in pregnancy. I suggest taking it along with Cetirizine 10 mg at night if you sneeze a lot. Also, do warm saline gargling if you have a sore throat. For further quer...  Read Full

How Does Salt Water Gargling Cure Tonsillitis? How Vaporizer And Medicated Inhalant Helps?

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Air humidifiers are of various types and not all of them are useful for someone suffering from tonsillitis. And also, tonsillitis requires gargling of warm water mixed with salt. Salt water gargling helps reduce pain, inflammation and infection in the throat by the foll...  Read Full