Skin Cancer

Why do I have a white scar on my lip?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small white scar on the lower lip for seven months. It was not white at first. But now it just stays there and does not show any change.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem is nasolabial dyssebacia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a type of eczema secondary to mild pityrosporum yeast infection associated with an oily part of the face with affected areas, mild scaling and redness in few individuals. You c...  Read Full »

I have sore on my forehead. Shall I try Sulfa antibiotic?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to my doctor yesterday for a sore on my forehead. I was concerned it would be skin cancer. He agreed that it looked strange, and suggested a Sulfa antibiotic to see if it is getting better. If not he told me to come back again. I am curious about it. Kindly give me an opinion on...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can see it has formed scab now, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it could be, Folliculitis (I see a similar small red spot on the scalp), it responds to topical antibiotics like Clindamycin 1 %, Mupirocin 2 %. Irritated seborrheic keratosis ...  Read Full »

Should I worry about my nevus spilus turning cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have speckled lentiginous nevi, also known as nevus spilus. I have had it since I was a baby. I do not know if it is congenital. Ever since I read online that they can transform dangerous, I do not feel comfortable in my own skin. I know the nevus spilus is alright right now. Its ...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your descriptions and given image, it does seem you have nevus spilus. There is nothing to worry about. The nevus spilus is present in 3 % of fair-skinned people. ...  Read Full »

I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and concern. Melanoma is a malignancy of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), located predominantly in the skin. The careful examination of lymph nodes can be determined by the staging of melanoma and the metastasis, that is, spread to other body...  Read Full »

What are the different types of nevus spilus?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a birthmark and I am pretty sure it is a nevus spilus. I read that there are two types of nevus spilus, papular and macular. Can you see my picture to see which type it is? Also, do I have to worry about cancer risk? I cannot see a dermatologist and I do not want to get it remove...  Read Full »

Dr. Tahir Shehzad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A nevus spilus is also called 'speckled lentiginous nevus'. These are dark spots on a flat tan background. There are no different types of nevus spilus. Also, you do not have to worry about cancer risk as there is very little chance of a nevus spilus turning into a mal...  Read Full »

I read that self-tanning creams can cause cancer. Is it true?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years old. I was using self-tanning creams around seven years all year long. I have stopped for the last two years. I am worried because I have read that self-tanning creams are causing cancer and tumors. Is it true? Are they out of my system or will it take years to appear if t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, self-tanning lotions are known to cause skin cancer. Please stop using it and avoid exposure to sunlight without a sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with SPF 50 or more, apply every fourth hourly. Look for any changes in the skin, any bumps that look different, any c...  Read Full »