Q. I have sleep disorder with inadequate sleep every day. Kindly suggest a solution.

Dr. Vandana Andrews
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2021

I am 69 years old and I am suffering from a sleep disorder. I have my sleep only for three hours. I have inadequate sleep and taking treatment for Parkinson's disease for six years. Kindly suggest.

#

You are suffering from a sleep disorder. You are taking medications and treatment. You are unable to sleep for more than three hours. I suggest you follow some measures to have a good sleep along with your medications. You must sleep only when you have a feeling of asleep. Do not delay sleeping once you get this feeling. It causes troublesome later. If you are not feeling sleepy within twenty minutes of going to bed, then you can do some other work until you have a feeling of asleep. Read a book.

Do not expose yourself to bright lights. It becomes a signal to your brain to be active. Try to wake up in the morning at a constant time every day. Plan your everyday routine of activities before going to sleep. Try to relax before going to sleep. Doing meditation and alternative relaxation techniques helps to reduce your strain levels and it helps to have a quiet sleep. Avoid shouting and arguments before going to sleep.

Do not sleep throughout the day and avoid doing vigorous exercise before five hours of going to sleep. Do exercise earlier in the day. It makes you tired and assists you to sleep soon. Do not watch television before an hour of going to bed. You can read some religious books before going to bed. You can take heavy meals before two to three hours of going to sleep. Take a glass of milk. It is highly advisable because dairy products contain L-tryptophan amino acid. It is a natural sleep inducer.

Avoid taking tea, cola, chocolates, and medicines that contain stimulants like caffeine. Drinking alcohol can make an individual feel drowsy. Do not watch clock and calculate the hours that you are awake before going to sleep. In many individuals, a sleep disorder is caused due to stress and anxiety. If you are unable to have a good sleep even after following these measures, then try to consult a doctor for having better medications.

|