Q. How to get treated for sleep paralysis?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

I am a 30 year old female. I am a working woman. I am facing sleep paralysis frequently from the last two months. Sometimes, it happens on consecutive days. I have faced this earlier also, but then it was very rare once in six months or once in a year. It always happens in the morning time when I get out of bed. My mind gets conscious, but I am not able to move my body. It is really scary and annoying. Please suggest what should I do.

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• Sleep paralysis is not a disease. It is the transition that happens during various stages of sleep.
  • Usually, if you do not have any other symptoms apart from this, then you do not require any imaging. In case, you experience any other symptoms, then you have to be investigated.
  • I suggest tablet Lorazepam 0.5 mg at night for a period of two weeks.

For further information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

| 

I get scared while sleeping and bite my tongue. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor,I have depression and anxiety and anger Issues. So, I used to get sleep paralysis a year ago but then it stopped happening itself. I never had panic attacks even with this severe depression. But a week ago I had my first panic attack and then I started having pain in my collar bone, left a...  Read Full »

Are Paxil and Crestor safe when taken together?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been taking Ativan 0.5 mg for some time now but my nurse practitioner wants me off. So, she prescribed Paxil 20 mg once daily. I am also on Crestor 10 mg. Are all of these safe together? I am not sure I trust a nurse practitioner.  Read Full »

Is it a mental problem or am I just being paranoid?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been constantly feeling that something touching me all over my body. I have been experiencing it for a few years, mostly the same thing. I think it was triggered by my first episode of sleep paralysis, but that was the only episode of it. I do not know what it is or why it is co...  Read Full »

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now